Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I treat curl grubs in lawn?

liz11
Just Starting Out

Should I treat curl grubs in lawn?

46DF8322-842A-46B4-8F69-6C9BD875157F.jpeg

BA7F48ED-1AA2-4F3C-9B07-8A2E23A4BCF8.jpeg

0CC7BFA1-3EA8-467F-AE74-6DC7546E6265.jpeg

ADF9184B-6E44-4303-890D-AD24A7004B53.jpeg

I’m not sure if our curl grub infestation in the lawn is bad enough to warrant treatment.

Our raised garden beds had a lot of them that I picked out and disposed of whilst preparing for our summer crop. I’m sure for every one I found, there were several I didn’t however.

The nearby lawn always struggles in places, but we do have other issues such as shade and children playing sports on it. No obvious brown patches however and not “spongy”. I’ve tried the methods to find curl grubs that I’ve seen online (wet towel, soapy water etc) and they’ve never surfaced, however today when I was weeding (A LOT of weeding!) I found 2 grubs under the soil. 
Do I just treat it just incase? Is there the potential to harm the grass with the treatment? Ie. what have I got to lose?

Thank you 

EDITED to include photos as requested. The brown patches are all either where I’ve recently sprayed clover and it’s died (the was a lot of clover) or bare patches from the kids playing soccer. Today I aerated and put top dressing on the worst parts in the hope the lawn will spread and fill in the bare patches. There are no patches I can’t attribute to dead weeds or trauma. It was fertilised about 3 weeks ago

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Should I treat curl grubs in lawn?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @liz11. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans.

Could we please trouble you for some photos of your lawn? It should help other members give more useful advice and assess whether your lawn is suffering from the army worms.

You might also find this previous and very popular discussion helpful: Help! I have lawn grubs! Workshop Legend @Adam_W provides some great advice. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Should I treat curl grubs in lawn?

Hi @liz11

If you've had grub infestation before, I suggest following @Adam_W's recommendation and using Scotts Lawn Builder 4kg Grub + Insect Slow Release Lawn Fertiliser. It's never too early to do some preventive maintenance especially when it comes to curl grubs. Just remember to use the product as directed. As for the bare patches in your turf, I suggest using Lawn Seed to repair them. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects