Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are these insects and how to kill them?

amirrafique
Finding My Feet

What are these insects and how to kill them?

There is an invasion of these insects in my backyard. What are these and how I can treat against them?

20230321_175501.jpg20230321_175631.jpg20230321_175842.jpg20230321_175849.jpg20230321_175901.jpg20230321_175918.jpg

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Re: What are these insects and how to kill them?

Hi @amirrafique 

I'm not an expert on bugs but Google Plague Soldier Beetles and see what you think. Plague Soldier Beetle - The Australian Museum If that's what it is - they will come in numbers but don't eat a lot. If you do want to get rid of them it may be tricky unless you can find the source of the young insects. 

Something that controls chewing insecst like Yates 200ml Mavrik Concentrate Insecticide - Bunnings Australia might be a good approach. 

Good luck. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What are these insects and how to kill them?

Hello @amirrafique 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @robchin. The plague soldier beetle does serve a purpose, they help with pollination while they crawl around your garden. The general consensus is that they will stay for about a week or two and then they will disperse. There might be a few stragglers left behind, but they will eventually move on. The beetles have an estimated lifespan of three months so I wouldn't worry about long term infestation.

If you wish to discourage them from certain plants in your garden, I suggest spraying it with soapy water.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects