Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What dwarf trees to plant without invasive roots?

emmz
Growing in Experience

What dwarf trees to plant without invasive roots?

Hi all, I'm wanting to plant some dwarf trees but they must not have invasive roots due to where they will be going. I was considering a dwarf lemon and dwarf orange tree. I also have a dwarf mulberry tree already potted but have read they have bad invasive roots, is this true and would it be best to keep potted?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Invasive roots?

Hi @emmz,

Dwarf tree varieties have less invasive root systems than their larger counterparts. However, their roots will still extend into the surrounding area, especially if the soil is fertile. Depending on the situation where they are going and what you are hoping to prevent damage to, it might be worth container growing, which would mitigate any risks.  

If you have concerns about roots damaging pipes or blockwork, it's typically best to allow at least two metres of space between the plant and the item.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
emmz
Growing in Experience

Thanks alot for your quick response. One side I've got the house with our ensuite and the other is on the boundary fence where we have the retic electrics. So it's mainly electrics and plumbing. The trees were going to be planted atleast 1m away from them but I am limited with how far I can go as in between are 2 large gates. Are there any other species that you no of that might be better suited?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

One metre would be reasonable for dwarf citrus as they have relatively shallow root systems, @emmz. If you had older terracotta sewage pipes, you wouldn't want to plant near them as the roots would seek out the leaking water at the joins. At one metre away, and being dwarf citrus, I don't believe the roots will cause damage. If you have concerns, it might be worth digging down and installing a root barrier.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
emmz
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much for your help. My house is almost 3yrs old so no terracotta. I'll give the dwarf citrus a shot. Thanks again

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects