Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What groundcover for my rear lane?

Ben2065
Growing in Experience

What groundcover for my rear lane?

Hi all,

I have a rear lane that I am trying to work on drainage at present as it forms a channel for rainwater runoff and also is heavily shaded by conifers and crepe murtle and jacarandas. I have tried mondo grass between the pavers however much of them have not survived or if they survived have not grown. There is foot traffic that occurs (mostly on the pavers) and it can get wet from the rain run off. I am trying to determine if it is worth growing grass or better to use a ground cover such as native violet. I would appreciate people's thoughts1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What groundcover for my rear lane?

Hi @Ben2065,

We have a couple of resources that might help you get some ideas:

@Noelle@mich1972@EricL and other helpful community members might also like to share their thoughts on what would work best in your garden.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Ben2065 

Native violet should work quite well here given the shade and available moisture!  You could also try mondo grass's larger cousin liriope (also known as lily turf), which is a little taller but should still work well given the conditions.  It will also help smother weeds.

Your last photo shows pennywort (also known as kidney weed and dichondra) that many consider a weed but it does may a great groundcover lawn substitute in shady, damp locations.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ben2065 

I suggest having a look at 140mm Star Jasmine - Trachelospermum jasminoides as it can also be used as ground cover. You'll need to be patient though as it takes a while for it establishes itself.

Eric

Ben2065
Growing in Experience

Hi all @EricL @Noelle @Jason 

I am back to considering grassing the lane. I would prefer Buffalo as that is what my other lawns are and they are excellent. I have seen online that buffalo tolerates shade so I am just interested if there is any advice between laying ready turf or sowing seed? I understand the top soil would need to be aerated and uncompacted. Just hope its not too shady for turf. Would appreciate your advice 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ben2065,

I have concerns about successfully growing grass in this area. How many hours of sunlight does the area see throughout the day? Although Buffalo is shade tolerant, it doesn't grow well in constantly shaded areas. So, if there are areas that do not receive direct sunlight for several hours a day, the grass will struggle. You might consider grass in the areas that do receive sunlight and laying mulch or pebbles in the areas where sunlight is insufficient.

You typically won't find Buffalo seeds and it is normally sold as turf.

Mitchell

Ben2065
Growing in Experience

@MitchellMc @EricL @Noelle @Jason 

Not sure exactly how many hours but only mottled sunshine and can also be damp soil at times. Is zyrosia turf better or still too shady? Has conifers, crepe myrtle and jacaranda trees forming the bulk of the canopy. I would only be planning turf on the high side of the lane opposite the bins as that is what is where the sun goes. I would prefer a ground cover that stays low and tight to cover weeds or that can be mown. Will have bins going up and down as well as people walking etc I have attached pics of the canopy to give understanding 

20240423_100256.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ben2065 

I'm in agreement with MitchellMc's assessment. If there is not enough sun, I'm afraid the turf will struggle. You'll get parts that will grow well and other parts where you'll have large bare spots. I'm not aware of any turf that will grow in full shade.   

I still recommend thinking about making your own spoon drain. It does not have to happen overnight as you have complete control over its construction. You can do small sections every week and have it completed in a matter of months.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects