Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the Ryobi 18+ pole hedge trimmer OHT1850S compatibility with new trimmers?

RomeoFoxtrot
Finding My Feet

What is the Ryobi 18+ pole hedge trimmer OHT1850S compatibility with new trimmers?

Hi - I'm trying to find out if any of the newer Ryobi 18+ pole hedge trimmers are compatible with a 2017 vintage OHT1850S model.

It appears to have died - just stopped working - so not sure if I'm up for just a new head unit or a whole new kit.

Ryobi tech support simply told me "it's out of stock"

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the Ryobi 18+ pole hedge trimmer OHT1850S compatibility with new trimmers?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RomeoFoxtrot. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Ryobi hedge trimmers.

I can see that the Ryobi 18V ONE+ HP Brushless EZ Reach Pole Hedge Trimmer Attachment - R18XPHTA0 and Ryobi 18V ONE+ Pole Hedge Trimmer Attachment R18PHTA20 are compatible with the new Ryobi 18V ONE+ Pole Hedge Trimmer and Ryobi 18V ONE+ 8” 20cm Oil-Free Pole Pruner R18PPS120

I am awaiting clarification from Ryobi as to whether they would suit the older model, but there is no mention of it under compatible models. Regarding a replacement head for your model, they're also getting back to me on availability.

Provided you've been able to test your batteries on another product and verify they are okay, that would indicate an issue with either the head attachment or shaft unit. Given the more complex components in the head unit, that would be the more probable location for the fault. A replacement head should resolve the issue if that is the case. 

I'll update you when I've heard back from Ryobi.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: What is the Ryobi 18+ pole hedge trimmer OHT1850S compatibility with new trimmers?

Thanks Mitchell - yes battery health was my first go to but went through three batteries that all worked on different products and no joy. Could be the pole but there's a distinct "click" in the motor housing on trigger squeeze that leads me to believe it's failed. 

20240502_103004.jpg

20240502_103023.jpg

Hi @RomeoFoxtrot,

Many thanks for your patience.

Unfortunately, I've been able to confirm with Ryobi that the replacement head for your older model is no longer in production. The two new heads currently stocked are not compatible with it either. You might want to take a look at the Ryobi 18V ONE+ Pole Hedge Trimmer - Tool Only, which is compatible with the two replacement heads. Bear in mind that if a replacement head were available for your old model, it would be similar in cost to the current two at $139.

I do apologise for the inconvenience.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. 

Whilst it is probably true that the head units are the same cost I'm going to have to buy new poles and a trigger mechanism because the connectors are different (see photos above). That's what I was hoping to avoid not so much for the cost but the waste. 

Guess I'll just have to bin the whole old unit and start again. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects