Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best whipper snipper for someone with hand issues?

Lin08
Just Starting Out

What is the best whipper snipper for someone with hand issues?

I’m looking for an easy to use whipper snipper I have nerve issues in my neck and recently purchased this product in photo. However I am finding really painful to hold to level to keep it running as the nerve issues affect my arm and hand. Is there a product that is light weight and doesn’t have a lever to hold. I realize it’s a safety thing but the recoil of the level and holding it on really affects my hand. I maybe able to use a button instead. Thanks everyone sorry first post lol 

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best whipper snipper for someone with hand issues?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lin08. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about line trimmers.

As you've mentioned, the trigger is a safety feature, and every line trimmer I've seen has one that must be held down. I just wanted to check that you've adjusted the forward handle, shoulder strap and mounting point to the most comfortable position. If the machine is not well balanced on the shoulder strap mounting point, it could be exacerbating the issue; however, in saying that, using the shoulder strap might not be possible due to your neck issues. As someone with chronic neck pain, I do appreciate the issue at hand and have a similar issue with my high-pressure sprayer.

You might like to visit your local Bunnings store and test the triggers on the units there. There's a possibility that there are easier-to-operate options that have a less over-powering switch mechanism.

Let me mention a few of our helpful members, @Jewelleryrescue, @TedBear and @Dave-1, to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: What is the best whipper snipper for someone with hand issues?

Afternoon @Lin08 

Yeah, know that feeling too well about holding the trigger down while whipper snipping 😕 Its a pain but necessary.

Little story to help with the reason why :smile: and no I wasnt injured badly but it stung! My whipper snipper has to be "banged on the ground" to extrude more line but it dosnt work always, so I put the whipper snipper down and went to press the button by hand, I thought it was idling down and slowing to a stop but for some reason nah, believe me that plastic strip stings lol This is why the trigger has to be there, to stop people that dont think sometimes :smile:

I have seen whipper snippers that have the whole shoulder support band that carries the weight of the whipper snipper. This should take a fair mount of strain off your body bar that switch 😕 I have also used an electric one that was lightish but had no real oomph. I would be doing what @MitchellMc  has suggested and take a stroll into Bunnings or your local lawnmower service center and they may be able to suggest ways forward as they servile the units.

One last thought, I have seen units that are like whipper snippers but have a wheel on the base, they are meant for doing fixed eges type deal and you push it around, you will always run into a trigger of some kind. Think of it as a dead mans switch, mean to stop the unit when something happens :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects