Workshop
Ask a question

What's wrong with my Gardenia losing leaves?

esquireluna
Just Starting Out

What's wrong with my Gardenia losing leaves?

After the recent rain my gardenia started to lose leaves. I don't know what's wrong with it. I have attached some photos of it and hopefully someone who is good at gardening can help me to figure out the problem and possibly to find a cure.

Thanks in advance,

PatrickGerdenia plantGerdenia plantCloseup of the leafCloseup of the leaf

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What's wrong with my Gardenia?

Hi @esquireluna,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is brilliant to have you join us.

Oftentimes when a plant starts to have issues after consistent rain, the problem is a drainage issue. Overwatering can cause the roots to sit sodden for an extended period of time stressing the plant and causing the leaf fall. 

You could gently turn the soil around the roots using a small garden fork such as this Fiskars Aluminium Fork to promote air flow and drainage. A compost such as Osmocote 25L Scotts Compost Premium Soil Improver would also help to promote drainage by promoting microbial growth and earthworms.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful gardeners to see if they have any thoughts, @Noelle, @mich1972, @HitOrMiss.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects