Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What timber to use for garden bed?

tbutete
Just Starting Out

What timber to use for garden bed?

What type of wood do I buy at Bunnings when I want to build my own backyard garden

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What timber to use for garden bed?

Hi @tbutete,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is great you have joined and thank you for your question about building your backyard garden. Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be back online this afternoon to assist with your question. Let me also tag our experienced garden builders @LisasGarden@IDIG, and @Adam_W to check if they have any suggestions. 

To give the best advice for the type of wood to use, it would be great to know what you are wanting to create for your garden. Such as raised planter boxes for veggies? Garden beds? I also suggest checking out our Top Ideas article Top 10 most popular raised garden beds which may have some bonus inspiration for you. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello @tbutete,

Jumping in the discussion to add that while waiting, you might want to check out the guide How to choose the right timber for the job authored by experienced Bunnings Workshop member Adam Woodhams @Adam_W. It contains an overview of the different types of timber available and how best to use them.

The Best Advice article What timber should I use for a raised garden bed? might also contain relevant advice. 

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're looking forward to helping you with your garden and home improvement projects and can't wait to see them once they're completed. 

Akanksha 

If your garden bed is going to be used to grow edibles then you need to use a food safe timber. We have used sienna treated timber in my raised veggie beds and also in my green house. This is food safe and comes in different sizes from Bunnings . It is also a really nice colour.

A37010B8-AD08-47D6-946F-1A585E55DDCE.jpeg

🐝🌸

Lisa

Thank you, this will really be helpful 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @tbutete 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @LisasGarden. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a look at the Bedford 120 x 120 x 30cm ACQ Treated Pine Raised Garden Bed which is a pre-cut kit ready to assemble. 

Another alternative is Sienna MicroPro Sleepers. However, please make sure to call your store for availability as they are very popular.

I also suggest having a quick look at this guide - How to build a simple raised garden bed by @Adam_W.

I also recommend having a look these fantastic projects:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

IDIG
Having an Impact

Best is hardwood with no chemical treatment , the Bunnings staff should be able to advise . If treated timber is more affordable , you could. Still use but. Put in a heavy duty black plastic lining , Regards Don

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects