Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do in the garden in April

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

What to do in the garden in April

Hero Image Test Blog - 2023-04-04T050946.754.png

April is a great time to head out in the garden and get it ready for winter. The days are getting shorter and cooler, and you don't have to water so much.

Here are some suggestions on what you can do in your garden in April.

What to plant

April is a good month to plant citrus varieties, including mandarins, limes and oranges. Not only do they provide delicious fruit –they look fantastic and the blossom smells great, too. Most citrus will grow well in a pot. Be sure to use a quality potting mix.

Position citrus in full sun and well-drained, fertile soil to reap the best rewards. Citrus are heavy feeders, so add some fertiliser at least every season.

It’s also a great time to grow your vegie patch. Consider planting brassicas such as cabbages, broccolis and cauliflowers.

In addition to vegetables, plenty of roses and Australian natives such as banksias are available in stores. Select from a range of varieties, flower colour and perfumed specimens.

What to pick

There should be plenty of produce ready to harvest in April.

Pick the lovely, leafy, green vegetables such as silverbeet, zucchinis and spring onions as well as tomatoes, peas and capsicums.

Make sure you don't forget the herb garden. Harvest bunches of parsley, basil, mint and thyme for cooking.

April is a great time to reap what you've sown, so get out into the garden. All that fresh air and exercise will make you feel great and your garden will look fantastic.

What to do

Get pruning this month. Remove dead wood and spent flowers on perennials. Give evergreen shrubs a workover, too. Regular pruning will encourage new growth and help to keep the plant looking good.

The leaves are falling so it’s also good to get raking. They make great compost, so add them to your heap or bin.

Keep an eye on plant watering needs as autumn rains can be sporadic. Pots and planters tend to dry out more rapidly, so be sure to keep them well watered. Add some wetting agents to help keep the soil moist.

With autumn rains, also come weeds. Deal with these right away and pull them out while they're young and before they have a chance to set seed and spread.

Finally, nourish shrubs and plants with a seaweed solution. This builds resilience against frosts over the coming months.

Garden guides for your location

Check out Garden Corner on the Bunnings website for planting advice tailored to your area and climate. 

Feel free to let us know what you're up to in the garden at the moment by replying below or hitting the Start a discussion button.

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What to do in the garden in April

Well unfortunately in the last maybe 3-4 weeks all of my Chilli plants have been infested by Thrips. Absolutely sucked the life out of them, distorted and poor growth. I just harvested the last of the fruits from all of them. Normally I overwinter my chilli plants and get them growing again in spring onwards. But this time I am going to pull out every single plant except for the Thai Chilli’s that were not affected. Note to self, grow more Thai Chill’s next Spring. I’m going to give our Edible Garden a break and build up the soil again with manure and Compost as it’s quite depleted and reverted back to hydrophobic sand !!! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mich1972 

Sorry to hear that your chilli plants got attacked by Thrips. Does that mean that Thrips are not interested in Thai Chilli's? It would be an interesting experiment when you do your next plantation. I was really hoping that all the extra nutrients you added to your soil would improve its condition rather than reverting back to sand.

Eric

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks Eric, yes the Thai Chilli’s were untouched !!!!!!!! 🤣🤣

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Part of the weekend's harvest - we left this one a little too long before picking!

Jason

IMG_5359.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How is everyone's garden looking at the moment?

Ours was extremely dry - good to have some decent rain in recent days.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects