Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do in the garden in January

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

What to do in the garden in January

Hero Image Test Blog - 2023-01-04T100151.767.png

Summer is in full swing and there is lots you can do to keep your garden healthy and blooming as the new year begins.

What to plant

January is a good time to plant some Australian natives or hardy plants, especially if you want to create a low maintenance garden. 

Some favourites to check out include callistemons, also called bottlebrush, and grevilleas. Callistemons grow in most areas of Australia and are at their best in spring through summer. Prune after flowering to keep the shrub compact and encourage more blooms.

It's also a great time to plant some edibles. Sea celery or sea parsley, old man saltbush and yam daisies are good, hardy choices. Other options include beans, lettuce, corn and herbs such as coriander, and basil. 

If you're looking to create a great setting for entertaining this January, then consider adding some colourful flowers to your garden.

Begonias, geraniums, impatiens, marigolds and petunias are good, hardy, sun-loving choices in the southern states.

Those living in Queensland can consider portulaca or celosia. Both will thrive in a sunny position in the garden.

A flamboyant bougainvillea is great for brightening gardens in Western Australia. Bambino is a smaller growing variety that works well in pots, hanging baskets or in the garden and comes in red, to purple, through pink and white.

If the weather is hot, keep an eye on young plants, or leave them in pots in a sheltered spot until the scorching days have passed.

What to pick

January is a great time to be harvesting fresh produce from the garden.

Stone fruit should be ripening, so be sure to pick the produce before the birds do. Pick peaches, nectarines and cherries. Delicious blackberries, raspberries, blueberries and strawberries are also ripening on the bushes.

In the vegie patch, capsicums, zucchini, cucumbers and tomatoes should be ready to harvest for the perfect summer salad. 

After all your hard work, things should be looking great, so get out and enjoy your garden.

What to do

January is the perfect time for barbecues and entertainment. Get out the pruners and remove spent flowers. Deadheading not only makes the plant look more appealing, it helps promote new growth.

Our Aussie summers can be pretty harsh so it’s also important to take a bit of extra time caring for your garden so it survives and thrives during the hotter months.

A good tip is to water regularly in the morning. If it's been dry, give the garden a good drench to keep the soil and plants hydrated. Deep watering encourages roots to grow more deeply, helps plants avoid sun burn as well as attacks of mildew and other fungal diseases.

Adding some mulch will help the soil retain moisture. Use pea straw or sugar cane that will improve the soil as they break down.

Another tip is to harvest fruit and vegies, such as leafy greens in the morning so they stay crisp and store longer.

Remember when you're working in the garden to protect yourself from the sun and stay well hydrated, so drink plenty of water. 

Garden guides for your location

Check out Garden Corner on the Bunnings website for planting advice tailored to your area and climate. 

Feel free to let us know what you're up to in the garden at the moment by replying below or hitting the Start a discussion button.

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What to do in the garden in January

On the weekend I spent a bit of time in the garden repairing our watering system. I think our dog had caused some havoc. If anyone needs some tips for setting up their own, the terrific step-by-step guide How to install a simple irrigation system by @srobinson would be a great start. 

Jason

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Summer in the Garden is great - so many beautiful plants flowering. Agapanthus and Kangaroo Paws, 2 of the hardiest and most garden worthy. My Gardenia is flowering now as well. I do my summer gardening early in the morning on the weekends and after work on the weekdays to beat the heat. Is there anything more therapeutic than hand watering on a warm summers evening? 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

The first month of the year has kicked off again. How are everyone's gardens looking this January? 

Feel free to ask any questions on maintaining your garden's health. Our wonderful community members will be happy to help.

Akanksha

After coming back from 5 weeks away, I was pleased to see my veggies have survived! 

I can see I need to help my tomatoes climb so I'll be adding a better structure soon, as well as, a net to keep the birds away. I got to eat some of the ripe yellow ones and they were sweet and delicious. 

My chillies are flowering which is great! Looking forward to those growing. 

How are other members' gardens doing? 

20240107_120212.jpg

20240107_120207.jpg

Tinker_Bell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Tinker_Bell 

Thanks for posting those pictures of your vegetable plants. It's good to hear that they are doing well despite you being away for some time. I believe a round of Seasol should liven up your veggie leaves. At the moment the only thing surviving in my garden at the are my chilli plants.

Eric

Great idea @EricL!

I went out and got some Seasol and also gave it a nice spray of Eco-oil. I may be overdoing it but I also netted my plants to prevent birds and possums from getting the wrong idea that these veggies are for them.  

Tinker_Bell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects