Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Whats wrong with the buffalo lawn?

Scot
Finding My Feet

Whats wrong with the buffalo lawn?

Hello there ,

I have recently noticed that grass ( Sir Walter Buffalo variety)  in my lawn is developing rough stem like tips instead of leafy structure

What could be the reason and please suggest any remedy ?

Thank you

grass.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Buffalo grass

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Scot. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Buffalo grass.

That's the seed stem of the grass, so there's not much you can do about those, unfortunately. If you haven't seen them before, it might be because your lawn has never gone to seed. I was discussing this with my father and brother-in-law the other day. Apparently, my brother-in-law's Buffalo lawn never goes to seed, yet my father's lawn looks exactly like yours.

Going to seed can be triggered by sudden or extreme changes in the weather. My father's lawn is likely to be seeding due to the high volume of rain we've experienced over the last several weeks in Sydney.

If it bothers you tremendously, you could look at the extremes causing stress and combat those. For example, perhaps you could add some Amgrow 10kg Wettasoil Professional Granular Soil Wetter and up your watering if you're seeing extreme heat.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Buffalo grass

thanks Mitchell :smile: , that clarifies .The lawn is less than a year old and was worried if its some sort of infection.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects