Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where to cut an orchid stem?

Christina2024
Finding My Feet

Where to cut an orchid stem?

Hi. I have a beautiful phalaenopsis orchid which I have had for 1 year now. In that period it has bloomed twice with 8-10 flowers. It recently lost its flowers and the stem is growing yellow/dry looking. There is one flower remaining on a healthy looking stem. Should I cut the stem for it to grow and the flowers to bloom again and if so, by which node? Attached photos. Thanks in advance.

20240122_215313.jpg

20240122_215320.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Where to cut an orchid stem?

Hello @Christina2024 

If I recall the general rule to cutting orchids is to find a node under the lowest flower bloom. Trim 25mm above that node, or bump, on the orchid spike. For unhealthy, brown spikes: Cut all the way back to the base of the plant.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric, 

Thank you for your advice. I went ahead and cut under a node. Since then, the whole stem has turned brown. Do you suggest I cut it at the base? The leaves are green and healthy which gives me hope it might grow another stem and flower again. Photo attached. Thanks in advance.

20240206_210055.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Christina2024 

I'm sorry to hear that the stem did not survive. In this instance, yes, you can cut it close to the base. Please leave a bit of the stem around 25mm. If the conditions are favourable perhaps new stems will grow from your orchid.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for your quick reply Eric. I will try that.

Thanks,

Christina 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects