Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are the Fig trees leaves curling?

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

Why are the Fig trees leaves curling?

Fig leaf 1.jpgFig Leaf 2.jpgFig Leaf 3.jpgWe have a fig tree on the south/east side of the house. It gets full sun in the afternoon, but partial sun for the morning. The tree has been in the ground for around 10 years I am guessing. Previously the tree has had black scale and also fig leaf bug that skeletonised the leaves a few years in a row. We got rid of both these problems (somehow).. but lately the trees leaves new growth and old, is curling up and browning. I have read that it could be fungus or too much water or not enough water. I was hoping someone could tell me what it is and if it can be treated? or is it time for a new tree?

I hope one of you garden gurus can help

Cheers

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Why are the Fig trees leaves curling?

Hi @AngryBird,

Let me tag helpful member @Noelle for her expert advice on why your fig leaves might be curling.

There's also helpful advice you might be keen to read in this previous discussion: Any tips or advice for growing fig trees? There's also a comprehensive guide on the Bunnings website: How to plant, grow and prune fig trees.

Hope that helps.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @AngryBird 

Can you please tell me where you live (suburb/city), what the soil is like and how often you water so I can glean a bit more knowledge on which to base a diagnosis?

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your reply. Appreciate the help.

Kind regards

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

Hi @Noelle,

I am in the Canterbury area of Sydney. The soil is Sandy and mulched lightly, I think its getting water at least once a week.. I can add some more photos if needed.. I could add a pic of the soil too if that would be useful. The fig is planted right next to a citrus tree, that grew more leaves than fruit last season.. I feel this crazy unpredictable weather is not good for the fruit trees.

Cheers

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi again @AngryBird 

Thanks for the info re location and soil. The pics don't look to me like the tree is diseased.
Given you have a sandy soil it's my opinion the fig is not getting enough moisture if you're only watering once a week. The leaves are exhibiting symptoms of stress - curling and browning from the edges inwards is highly suggestive of lack of moisture.
If it doesn't rain, I would suggest watering at least twice or maybe even three times a week over summer, especially when temperatures are high and there's also a drying wind.
Mulching the soil with compost or similar organic matter will also assist in moisture retention and keeping the soil cooler around the roots.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects