Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

90s kitchen facelift

mgosia
Just Starting Out

90s kitchen facelift

We we’re getting tired of our 1990s kitchen but didn’t have the budget for a new kitchen so we decided to give a little DIY facelift to our kitchen to bring it into the 2020s!

Materials

Dulux renovation range: cabinet paint

White Knight tile paint and primer 

Timber trims for the panel look

Timber lacquer in clear

New cabinet handles from Bunnings

No more gaps bathroom and kitchen silicone

Tools

Steps

Step 1

Remove all the cabinet doors and handles, and take off the melamine wrapping with the help of a hair dryer.

Step 2

Prime the cabinet doors with the Dulux renovation range primer for cabinet doors. We didn’t have to sand the doors as once the melamine wrapping came off, we were left with the raw MDF. 

Step 3

Paint the cabinets with the Dulux renovation range cabinet paint in vivid white. We did 3 coats to fully cover the raw MDF colour as the primer is clear.

Step 4

Clip the cabinet doors back on and install new handles in matt black for that updated look.

Step 5

Sand the kitchen tiles lightly just enough to buff the surface to get it ready for painting, and remove old silicone along the edges between the backsplash and benchtop.

Step 6

Prime the tiles with the tiler primer and apply 2 coats of the White Knight tile paint, for which we picked an olive colour.

Step 7

Silicone the edges that join the tiles and benchtop with a bathroom and kitchen grade silicone.

Step 8

Cut the timber trims to the right height for the back panel of the kitchen bench, and stain it with a clear lacquer.

Step 9

Paint the back panel of the kitchen bench following the same steps as the cabinet doors but also sanding first as we were painting on melamine this time.

Step 10

Nail the slats of timber to the back panel to get that fluted panel look :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: 90s kitchen facelift

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mgosia. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your wonderful kitchen transformation.

You've really made some great choices there, and I love the timberwork you've added under the bench. The bold colour choice on the splashback is growing on me; the one thing I do know is it's certainly not boring. I really like the colour too!

Many thanks for sharing, and well done!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects