Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Abandoned wash house transformed into kitchen

beckthedrummer
Getting Established

Abandoned wash house transformed into kitchen

IMG20211227101305.jpg

Transforming an abandoned wash house into a new practical kitchen.

IMG_20210223_222037_869f3e71-79f0-4aa3-a20c-307152ec7072.jpg

This was the canvas. Originally access to the wash house was via an outside door to the left of the. A brick oven once stood where the new kitchen entrance is. This new kitchen makes use of the old wash house area with a lovely view out over the farm yards. 

I have designed and self built this entire kitchen from scratch. The cupboards are custom size to fit exactly as they do allowing for maximum storage and accessibility. The benchtops are Spotted Gum. Subway tiles have been used on the splash back. 

The floors appear to be many detailed tiles. But infact, it is one sheet of cement sheeting that has been specially painted. Each "tile" on the floor was created by carving designs into lino. Paint was applied to the lino and then printed onto the cement sheet to create a tiled floor effect. 

The cupboard doors and drawer fronts have been hand routed and painted to fit their custom size cabinet. 

This kitchen maintains it's old world feel with a touch of modern aesthetics. 

What can I say... Bunnings has made my renovation dream a reality. Women can design, build and create anything we want. This is proof of that. 

IMG20211227101407.jpg

IMG20211128182413.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Now it's a kitchen

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @beckthedrummer. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing this wonderful project.

Not only have you created an amazing new kitchen, but you've shown such brilliant creativity! The hand-crafted faux tile floor is genuinely inspiring. Do you have any closeups photos of the floor? What a really clever idea.

I also love that you have a created vista out over the farmlands. That must be a treat to view whilst washing up.

This would make a stellar entry in our Australia's Best D.I.Y. Competition. Shall I enter it for you?

Congratulations on a fantastic project, and well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

IMG20211007121407.jpg

 Thanks for you kind words Mitchell. Here are some close up picture of my kitchen floor, before and after it was installed. 

IMG20210924155307.jpg

That's amazing @beckthedrummer! I'm so jealous of your talent. Well done indeed!

Mitchell

Yes I would be happy for your to enter me into the DIY competition :smile:

Hi @beckthedrummer

This is such a gorgeous project, I am loving those tiles too! I wanted to let you know you are officially in the competition. Looking forward to seeing more of your projects. 

Katie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects