Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any sound absorbing products for a kitchen cabinet?

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Any sound absorbing products for a kitchen cabinet?

The seemingly never ending Kitchen build continues into the summer of '24 😅. Recently purchased an underbench water chiller / filter to replace our Britta in the fridge (we wanted the space back). Installation has gone well, some vents are needed to assist with heat, my current issue with it is sound while maintaining the temp we have it set to. 

421290731_329102083446933_5910488370620067884_n (1).jpg

It's not too bad with the drawer above it closed (it houses both panels that covers the unit), but it's still something I'd like to minimise if at all possible so it just becomes background noise throughout the day. Does Bunnings have any sound absorbing products that would be suitable for something like this that is mindful of heat, mold & moisture? I can soundproof a room but a kitchen cabinet is beyond my understanding lol

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Any sound absorbing products for a kitchen cabinet?

Hi @Remarka6le 

I would probably suggest having a look at the Bastion 1200 x 600 x 30mm XPS Multi Use Foam Board. Easy to cut and shape and provides excellent sound absorption. I propose putting one on the inside of the door so that when you close it, it sits tight against the sides of the cabinet. I also suggest one under the drawer itself so that it absorbs noise in that direction as well. 

However, before you begin, I suggest referring to your manual about ventilation. Does the unit require to be at a certain temperature to operate? Will it overheat if enclosed too well in an airless box. How far does it need to be from the top and the walls?

Once you've checked for safety you can then plan on where to put more insulation.   

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: Any sound absorbing products for a kitchen cabinet?

Hey @EricL , 

There is quite a lot of gap between the top of the unit and the top of the cabinet, it's warm in there, but the suppliers said this is within normal operating parameters. Regardless, the heat is why we're putting the additional vents in to assist with cooling, drawing in cool air from the kicker and pushing out some air into the larger unit (underneath our sink) next to it. 

I'll let you know how this goes, 

Regards, 

Remarka6le

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects