Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can self leveling compound be applied over glue residue?

missdodelaney
Just Starting Out

Can self leveling compound be applied over glue residue?

image.jpg

I have removed cork tiles from my kitchen /living area and am going to lay tiles down and I’m wanting to know can I apply a self levelling compound over the residue cork glue before laying the tiles or do I need to remove all the glue first 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: self leveling compound

Hello @missdodelaney 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about applying self-levelling compound.

Unfortunately, there is a possibility that the old adhesive will interfere with self-levelling compound. I recommend removing it using a QEP 4" Floor And Wall Razor Scraper. This heavy-duty scraper should be strong enough to remove the remaining adhesive on the floor. 

Once all the adhesive has been taken off, I propose washing the floor with water and detergent to remove any oil or grease on the surface. Make sure that the surface is totally dry before you begin your tiling.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: 

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects