Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can tracked electrical wiring be plastered over?

KarynM
Finding My Feet

Can tracked electrical wiring be plastered over?

The wiring had to be altered for the kitchen re model and the old wall needed to have the plastering and brick carved out for the new wiring. Can the wiring be plastered over?

What is needed some of the wires are Contained in a white flexible tubing some parts are not.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Can tracked electrical wiring be plastered over?

Hi @KarynM 

I would want that  cable inside more white tubing or  equivanlent before plastering over ideally.

Consider  using  a conduit repair pipe and see if it fits around yuor wire and fix it to wall 

Stahl 20mm x 1m PVC Conduit Repair

I/N: 4331892

$5.97

• IP66 rated
  • UV protected
  • Delivers reliable and immediate improved safety ahead of certified electrical repairs
Stahl 20mm x 1m PVC Conduit Repair is perfect for the temporary repair of damaged conduit and exposed electrical wires.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @KarynM 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about electrical wiring.

From a practical and safety point of view it's best to put the wires into a conduit in this manner it will be protected and should a wire need to be replaced it can be pulled out. I suggest speaking to your electrician and showing them where you would like to run the new wiring, they will then make suggestions on where it might be possibly to run it through. If it turns out that it can only be run by the brick wall the electrician will set it up properly so that you can render over it.

Let me call on our experienced members @CSParnell and @MikeTNZ for their recommendations.

Please remember that any electrical work must be carried out by a registered electrician.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @KarynM,

Under the current electrical regulations, you are not allowed to install flexible conduit behind plastering, it must be rigid conduit conforming to AS/NZS 61386.

Just the same as you are not allowed to install flexible conduit under cement floors or within cement walls

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects