Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Connecting benchtop dishwasher - to kitchen tap which has no threading

Upside3318
Finding My Feet

Connecting benchtop dishwasher - to kitchen tap which has no threading

Hello, I have a devanti benchtop dishwasher, which I bought in 2020 from Myer. It cannot be connected to my kitchen tap, as the tap is rather old-fashioned and has no threading.  I wonder if anything can be done about this?  I'm not sure if it's possible, or if I have the capabilities to do so myself; but even if I'm just requesting the landlord consider doing it, I need to know what I'm asking them to do! 

Would greatly appreciate clearly and simply explained answers if they are to be found!

Follow up question - If it is possible, does it mean that the kitchen tap will be out of commission any time the dishwasher is in use, or is there a way that they can both be used at once?

Thankyou. :smile:

IMG_1665.jpg

Upside3318_0-1666775906659.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Connecting benchtop dishwasher - to kitchen tap which has no threading

Hi @Upside3318,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust you'll get plenty of inspiration and advice for all your home improvement projects from our wonderful members. 

This seems to be a common challenge. Check out this very popular discussion for ideas - Benchtop dishwasher tap connections. You'll also find links to other popular benchtop dishwasher discussions under the heading "You might also like" below. 

Let me also tag our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL to share his thoughts. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jason, thanks for the reply. I’ve already checked out the post you linked and a bunch of others, too - but all the ones I’ve seen deal with taps that have threading, which does not help me as mine has no threading. Hoping I can get some advice specific to this. 🙂

cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Upside3318

Thank you very much for sharing your question about your benchtop dishwasher. I suggest asking your landlord to change your kitchen spout into a Shaw & Mason Chrome Bath Spout Diverter. This has the advantage of diverting the water to the bottom of the spout which means that you can have the benchtop dishwasher inlet hose connected permanently. 

However, the drawback is that the spout will now become fixed into position and will not be able to swivel. You'll also need the Brasshards 20 x 15mm Chrome Plated Brass Bush to be connected to the bottom of the spout so that the inlet hose can be connected properly. Please make sure to use plumber's thread tape to prevent leaks from occurring.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hmmm….. thanks Eric, I appreciate your reply!

Unfortunately I don’t think that’s going to be a viable solution either… the sink is rather small and shallow compared to many, and sometimes I need to reposition the spout to hand wash certain items or to be able to fit them in the sink. Might not be as much of an issue if I’ve got a dishwasher doing much of the washing work for me, but I don’t feel keen on the lack of flexibility, so to speak. Hopefully Ted or Joe have another suggestion! 

But essentially you’re saying it’s likely a plumber job, not an inexperienced DIY job?  

cheers 

Hi @Upside3318 to fit your dishwasher to your tap, the tap will need to be one that has an aerator, than an adaptor can be fitted to the tap, the dishwasher can then be connected as required. as for draining the dishwasher, I'm guessing that you would place the drain pipe into the sink.

I am not sure if this tap is available from Bunnings, @EricL might be able to check if Bunnings sell these taps.

You will need  plumbers thread tape to install the new tap

JoeAzza_1-1666854563435.png

JoeAzza_0-1666854521224.png

JoeAzza_2-1666854847989.png

You could try also this method, where you just fit this type of adaptor to the existing tap. This is a simple a simple fix.

JoeAzza_3-1666855012578.png

Hmmm, thanks @JoeAzza ! How does one even replace a tap spout? I wouldn’t know how to actually remove the one that’s there. 
I was imagining I’d just put the end of the drain hose into the sink, yeah. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Upside3318

In order to remove the spout, I suggest using a shifter big enough to turn it anti-clockwise. To install the new spout, I propose putting thread seal tape on the brass threaded nipple on the wall and screwing the new spout on. The items that @JoeAzza mentioned are all available at the store such as the Shaw & Mason WELS 3 Star 9L/min 180mm Chrome Plated Tube Wall Spout, Kinetic 19mm Brass Dishwasher Adaptor and the Kinetic 12mm x 10m White Standard Thread Seal.

Those three items when joined together will allow you to attach your dishwasher's hose. Please keep in mind that the aerator must be removed first before attaching the Kinetic 19mm Brass Dishwasher Adaptor. In this particular configuration, it will be necessary to take the hose off when you are not using the dishwasher. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can attach to the large plain spout that would be safe to use.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see you have been getting plenty of assistance @Upside3318. Hope the conversation with your landlord goes well. I'm sure they would appreciate you reaching out before tackling anything yourself. Hopefully they will be able to agree to get a plumber and change the tap for you.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects