Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fill in a stone bench top cut out?

Deb58
Finding My Feet

How do I fill in a stone bench top cut out?

image.jpg

Is it possible to fill in a stone bench top cut out, to change the stove top?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I fill in a stone bench top cut out?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Deb58, we're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans. 

Could you please tell us what your plans are in a little more detail? Do you have a replacement stovetop you want to use that is smaller? If so, how much smaller is it?

And do you know what type of stone your benchtop is? Do you know the original manufacturer or installer?

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Deb58 

Thanks for sharing your question about filling in your stone benchtop. If you are installing a new cooktop then the gaps can be covered by a professional stone mason. 

But if you have something else in mind, please let us know.

Eric

Deb58
Finding My Feet

Thanks Jason,

I wanted to place a gas stove top in its place. The existing electric stove is old. The control knobs are also a problem, as you can see in the pic, they are in a separate cut out of the stone. I wanted to cut out that piece between the control knobs & stove top with an angle grinder & diamond blade, to make the cut out as one. As I have researched the naked flame regulations, the new gas stove top needs to be 30mm from the splash back, is that correct? My project is becoming complex. I am also unable to find a suitable gas cook top to fit the space. Can I fill it with a piece of metal or something that can surround the outer edges of the cut out to accommodate a new cooktop that could have different dimensions? I would also be able to abide by the 30mm regulation of the naked flame.

Thanks,

Deb

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Deb58,

I'd recommend you enlist a professional's services for the adjustment of the cutout and the stovetop installation. Given the control knobs off to the side, it would be best to go with a wider unit that would cover that area, too. There is a possibility of using a similar-sized or smaller unit and infilling around the edge, but it's a much simpler process if you can find a larger unit and increase the cutout size.

You might like to look at our range of gas cooktops for something larger. If you can provide some measurements of the current cutout and the overall size required encompassing the knobs as well, we can assist it in trying to locate a suitable replacement unit.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects