Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I install an kitchen island exhaust fan?

recipeslive
Finding My Feet

How do I install an kitchen island exhaust fan?

I am looking to remove a non structural wall and open up my kitchen and install a kitchen island. I am thinking about hanging an reverse cycle extraction fan above it. I need the extraction system to be quite as I plan on making the kitchen a working food photography studio. Any suggestions or ideas welcome. Thanks in advance Brendan. 

Chef Brendan
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I install an kitchen island exhaust fan?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Chef (@recipeslive).

Sounds like it's an exciting time for you as you start work on a new venture. 

Could we please trouble you for some photos of your kitchen or at least a sketch of your plans with some dimensions? It would really help members to see what you are working with and what you have planned. They are then more likely to be able to provide helpful and specific advice.  

We look forward to seeing how you can transform your kitchen.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I install an kitchen island exhaust fan.

Hello @recipeslive (Chef Brendan)

It sounds like a fantastic project. A few photos of the area would definitely help our members assess the area. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed. I'll be calling on my fellow kitchen designers and asking them for their suggestions regarding a ceiling mounted rangehood that is relatively silent.

Looking forward to seeing the photos of your kitchen.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @recipeslive,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us at Bunnings Workshop, it's great to have you here.

I'm an electrician who has worked with kitchen equipment for many years and as others have said, could you please show us by way of some

photos of what you currently have in your kitchen, so that we can have an idea of some sort of a solution.

However, if you are looking for quietness in a fan system, I would not go for a recirculating system, the reason I say this is because the fan is effectively choked off by the filter element.

The best thing you can do, is have a fully ducted system to the outside of the building, this will keep the system reasonably silent.

One other thing is this, a lot of flumings used in kitchens happen to be either square or rectangular in shape, this is because how fabricators make them, this causes air turbulence that causes noise from air friction.

Having a round or elliptical fluming, settles the turbulence down and cuts noise to a fraction of what it would normally be.

Personally, I'd like to help you through this project, if you can please give us more information, that would be awesome.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas. I have just had a Kaboodle designer here and will work on the extraction fan after installation. Full details to @MikeTNZ  below.

Chef Brendan

Merry Christmas, and thanks for the excellent advice and tips. I have discovered a fan ventilation kit on the pureventilation_com_au website - kitchen-exhaust-fan/ that may fix the problem. I am not sure about oil and grease cleaning issues yet. Some type of filter overlay could be suitable.

I do not have any roof space as the kitchen roof is slanted in line with the roof for ducting. So, I plan on coming out under the eaves.

I have noticed Bunnings have similar inline exhaust fan systems. I have a few retired builders/handymen/engineers (or so they think they are) mates here, so it will be an interesting problem for us to fix or at least discuss over a few coldies. Thanks for your input. Cheers Brendan

Photos: 1 new kitchen, 2 old kitchen and roof lines, 3 Photography and videography studios, 4 non-structural wall to be reduced to 600 mm.new Kitchen design, fan to go into ceiling above cooker.new Kitchen design, fan to go into ceiling above cooker.old kitchen, to be removed and replacedold kitchen, to be removed and replacedolk kitchen and food video studioolk kitchen and food video studioExisting wall to be reduced to 600 wideExisting wall to be reduced to 600 wide

Chef Brendan
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @recipeslive,

Personally, what ever you do, if you can, make the exhaust from your ventilation system as vertical as is possible.

Like you said, cleaning will be an issue, you will make it more of an issue if you enter 45° or 90° bends into the exhaust side of the system.

You should not put un-necessary 90° bends in any cooking exhaust, instead, make the exhaust as short as possible to vent to atmosphere,

that is where you will find the greatest efficiency of the system.

There are square/rectangular transitions of multiple sizes and shapes to circular ducting that could have an extra in-line fan to start with the cooking appliance below it, the choice is yours as to how you want to do this.

But I can't stress enough, the shorter the exhaust in the system, the less the noise and cleaning required.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects