Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I seal a Jarrah kitchen bench?

Hughes
Just Starting Out

How do I seal a Jarrah kitchen bench?

I have purchased jarrah bench tops for a kitchen make over with what do I seal them . Please

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do i seal a jarrah kitchen bench

Hello @Hughes 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about sealing your benchtop.

If you are after a clear soft satin finish, I suggest having a look at Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish. It is a water-based sealer that is food safe once it fully cures. It enhances the benchtop timber grain and is heat resistant. 

Some of the varnish sealers also come in an oil-based finish. It all depends on what you want your benchtop to look like. I recommend passing by the stores paint department and having a look at the varnish sample board and see which one is to your liking. 

Before you commit to painting the entire benchtop, I suggest testing a small area of the benchtop underneath to see if the finish agrees with you. If it is satisfactory, you can then paint the entire benchtop.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask while working on your benchtop.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you seal a timber kitchen benchtop?

Here is a handy-step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture (the techniques used are applicable to your benchtop)

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects