Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I securely affix ceramic tiles to plasterboard wall?

Novella
Finding My Feet

How do I securely affix ceramic tiles to plasterboard wall?

Hi, I'd like to securely affix 2 feature ceramic tiles to my kitchen wall (plasterboard). There are 2 existing hooks (where the previous owner had small pictures up). Though I'm not a 'natural' handy person, I can complete tasks with the right advice & direction. Thank you Novella 🙂

Novella_0-1705281677875.jpeg         Novella_1-1705281716283.jpeg      Novella_2-1705281747033.jpeg     Novella_3-1705281819437.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I securely affix ceramic tiles to plasterboard wall?

Hello @Novella 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's brilliant to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about fixing your tiles to your plaster board wall.

I suggest using Selleys 290ml Hold Up Construction Adhesive. It is very important to follow the application instructions. The adhesive must be placed in straight lines with a gap of 5mm per line. Do not get too close to the edge of the tile or the adhesive will overflow. Once the tile has enough adhesive on it press firmly against the wall and do not let go. 

To hold the tile in place I suggest putting masking tape on the corners of the tiles until the adhesive has cured. Please note that this might take a day or two depending on the temperature and humidity inside the house. You can use a toothpick to test the adhesives viscosity if it is still soft. Once the adhesive cures you can then remove the masking tape. Please do not use electrical or packaging tape as this will harm your plaster board wall.

My best advice is to make sure to mark the position of your tiles with a pencil so that you'll know its straight and level.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How do I securely affix ceramic tiles to plasterboard wall?

Hello Eric, many thanks for your swift follow up - much appreciated. 

I'm going to give it a go, with what you have outlined. Super helpful! Many thanks Novella 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects