Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How much sanding do i have to do to paint my ply kitchen cupboards?

jenny96
Just Starting Out

How much sanding do i have to do to paint my ply kitchen cupboards?

I have a ply 2nd kitchen and I want to paint it using the dulux renovation range. How much sanding do I need to do?  Also do I need to use a stain blocker if I am using the primer?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how much sanding do i have to do to pain my ply kitchen cupboards?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jenny96. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about using the Dulux Renovation range.

The Dulux Renovation range primer is designed for ceramic and porcelain tiles, vinyl, laminate and plastic wrapped cabinet doors, drawers and benchtops. It is not designed for bare timber or varnished timber surfaces. Instead, you would need to use Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L and then two coats of Aquanamel.

Before applying the 1Step primer, you would need to sand the surface smooth to the touch and dull any existing varnished coating. The 1Step primer will block the majority of stains on timber within reason. If it's a heavily stained timber, you might need an additional coat or use a stain blocker.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects