Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add trim to kitchen cabinets?

jblack74
Getting Established

How to add trim to kitchen cabinets?

Hi guys. 

I've spent the whole weekend updating an old laminate kitchen. I wanted a shaker style cabinet so I have added a 6mm thick, 50mm wide MDF trim. And painted laminate cabinets in white from the old baby blue. 

The issue I now have is that adding the trim has ment the doors don't open fully and hit against the up right laminate panels. I know I can attempt to adjust the hinges so the doors are a bit further forward but then the middle door will still hit against the door on the left , any ideas on or solutions

Thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add trim to kitchen cabinets?

Hello @jblack74 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your modified kitchen doors.

Adding MDF trim to change the profile of your kitchen door is a fantastic idea. However, one of the things you need to watch out for is door clearance. You'll notice that modern kitchen hinges not only pivot off centre they also lift the door so that it clears the body of the cabinet.

Adding the extra 6mm MDF trim has interfered with that clearance. There are two possible solutions that might work. First, the trim on the kitchen door will need to be slightly sanded down so that it clears the laminate panel at the side. This will be a matter of trial and error on your part. I suggest sanding it down on an angle and testing it until the door is able to open without hitting the side panel.

The second option is to see if you can remove the side panel and put spacers on it so that when the door closes it will not hit the laminate panel. The gap can be filled with a silicone filler so that it will be hidden from view.   

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

fternoon @jblack74 

Love your idea! And may even try that myself! :smile: Any chances of a few pics to show the overall kitchen and also the issue itself when you close the doors? I am fairly confidant I know what you mean but a picture just confirms it.

I take it from the phrasing of the question you have already done the upgrade to your doors? Will wait tho until I understand some more as my mind is leaping to how to's that may not be necasary :smile:

Dave

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @jblack74 , I had a similar issue with thicker doors, every time I wanted to open a middle door I hand to first open the door next to the hinged side, otherwise it wouldn’t open all the way, I resolved it by re making new doors to suit the hinges.

i had a look on the internet and found these hinges for thicker doors, i am not sure if they would suit your situation, maybe @EricL or @Dave-1  could assist.

see attached website

https://www.hafele.com.au/en/product/hinge-haefele-duomatic-94-for-thick-doors-and-profile-doors-up-...

jblack74
Getting Established

Hey JoeAzza that's exactly what's happening, I have to open one door to get to another, plus they won't open all the way  I'm thinking of looking at the different hinges solution

jblack74
Getting Established

Hi Dave, I have to open one door to open the one next to it, and even then it won't open all the way, I'm thinking perhaps some other type of hinges 

IMG_20231024_180732.jpg

 before

IMG_20231024_180719.jpg

 after

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jblack74 

Those doors look fantastic. Let me tag @Dave-1 to make them aware of your question. Putting hinges that open at different angles is worth a try. I suggest going to the hardware department of the store and looking at the kitchen hinge display set. There you'll see how the hinges pivot and lift to avoid hitting one another. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your doors working properly.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @jblack74 

Nice looking cupboards even if they arnt opening so nicely yet :smile:

So a question, what type of hingers are on the doors? Is it the recessed style with the larger round hole drille dinto the door or cupboard?

I am thinking about how much clearance is needed between the door edge and the frame or another door. If its only a mm or two mm then potentially you could shave that off (1mm left and right side of each actuall door) I would suggest to sit and meausure it a few times just to make sure as once its gone it can be a pain to put it back. 

If you open one door then mark the edge of the other door on the door frame. Then open that door you should see how much "space" you will need for opening. If this dosnt make sense I can draw a pic :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects