Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a floating shelf?

KateDIYhome
Growing in Experience

How to build a floating shelf?

Hi everyone :smile:

I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers on what to use for a DIY floating shelf. There are no studs behind the wall so it would be fixed to the plaster with measurements of L 400 x W 200 - blue tape to map it out. I ideally wanted to use a wood light in colour. Happy for any recommendations for the best way to complete this - and if floating shelf's are the way to go? i love the look but unsure if will be stable enough?
thank you :smile:20240227_142123.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a floating shelf?

Hello @KateDIYhome 

Thanks for sharing your question about floating shelves. I propose building them out of 42 x 19mm 1.8m DAR Pine Premium - 1.8m and anchoring them to the wall with Ramset Super Wallmate Toggle Anchor - 10 Pack

I recommend assembling the shelf frame first before anchoring it to the wall. Once anchored, you can then put the top and bottom shelf covers on you can use either plywood or MDF in 9mm. You can glue and screw the shelf covers on and fill all the gaps with filler. Once the filler is dry you can sand the sides and surface and paint the shelf with your preferred colour.

I've placed some images below to give you an idea of how you can put the shelves together. 

Please remember to wear personal protections such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects