Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cook lasagne sheets?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

How to cook lasagne sheets?

The recipe called for lasagna sheets to be pre-cooked in boiling water and then inserted into a muffin tray - in place of pastry.

Suppose to look like this - with a pork filling covered in yogurt, egg yolk, mozzarella and then baked.

Original recipeOriginal recipe

But for the life of me I couldn't get the cooked lasagna sheets outta the water with tongs as they kept tearing and no way were they pliable enough to fit in a small muffin cup.

In the end I had to use pie trays and just used the lasagna as strips. I also improvised the recipe into a curried pork, potatoes and peas mix.

Tasted nice, but very rustic looking.

Bigger than expectedBigger than expected   

I was wondering - did I use the wrong type of lasagna sheet type?

Any cooking tips welcome!

Cheers

Graeme.

20230207_084726.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Cooking Lasagne Sheets

Hi @Noyade,

I am thinking you may have overcooked the lasagne sheets, I once read that you should boil them for 2 minutes less than what the box says. I've actually done a similar recipe but used wonton sheets instead of lasagne, they were way crunchier than what the lasagne sheets would be like but they were very tasty. The wonton sheets fit nicely in the cupcake tray as well. I think your curried pork lasagne pies look very yummy actually! 

Let me know how you go next time you make them. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @KatieC 

I think those Woolies sheets are intrinsically designed to fail in boiling water. 🤔

Even only after a couple of minutes - they split parallel to the edges.

They weren't even pliable - kept bouncing back outta the pie trays like rubber!

I'm gonna try different brands - and maybe the 'fresh' variety?

The wonton sheet is also a good idea!

Yours in MasterChef.

Graeme.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

You could very well be right. Let me know how you go with a different brand or if you try the wonton sheets. 

Katie

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to cook lasagne sheets?

@Noyade @It may look ‘rustic’ but I bet it tasted fantastic mate !!!!!!! 😃

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Noyade,

Thanks for posting this, I am a reasonably decent "home chef" but never even thought of this permutation of lasagna sheets.

To my thinking, after the pasta is boiled ( and this may seem wrong to everyone with any cooking experience) is to take the pot off the stove and

fill it with cold water, that will cool down the pasta and prevent it from tearing.

Hot pasta is notoriously brittle, especially if you handle it with kitchen utensils like tongs and what-not.

Now that you've posted this, I'm going to have to try this, I really like your idea with this.

Note to @KatieC,

I'm not sure if we have this here already and I'm not even sure if it would be appropriate, but if it were, could we please have an area where recipes could be swapped amongst the members here?

I mean, who doesn't like cooking?

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Mike T.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

What a difference the style of lasagne sheets make!

My wife bought home this brand tonight.

20230208_190235.jpg

No need to cook/boil it - just mould it into the pie dish with cooking oil...

20230208_185102.jpg

Tonight I tried Mexican beef and onion. The moist mix will 'cook' the lasagne bottom and the oven will crisp the edges.

20230208_185407.jpg

20230208_192130.jpg

Then add some extras...

20230208_192303.jpg

MasterChef - here I come! 😃

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Noyade,

Ahh yes, the fresh stuff.

That looks really good, going by the pictures, I bet that was awesome when you tasted it.

Brilliant.

Cheers,

Mike T.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Wow I agree with @MikeTNZ, the better lasagne sheet definitely made a difference. 

Well done @Noyade, I am going to have to try it this way! I think the pie tray size is a perfect portion too. Did you put cream on top of the beef mix? 

Katie

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning! @KatieC 

"Believe it or not" - it's a Weight Watchers recipe. The 'cream' is 150 grams of 99% fat-free yoghurt whisked with two egg yolks. 

Does it work? Does it make a difference? Dunno - I think I made the beef very, very spicy. 😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects