Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a kickboard on a budget?

JayKay
Getting Established

How to create a kickboard on a budget?

Hi, 

I am on a very tight budget to complete a kitchen. I have an island bench that requires a Kickboard. The rest of the kitchen has the aluminium Kickboard which is expensive at almost $90 for 2400ml. I am hoping to get some advice on perhaps purchasing the white one at less than $40 for 2400ml and painting it with aluminium coloured paint. Has anyone done this and had success? What paint was used? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create a kickboard on a budget?

Hello @JayKay 

If you're thinking of making an affordable kickboard, I propose having a look at the following materials.

Kickboard materials:

The MDF will need to be primed otherwise the board will absorb the metallic paint and you'll end up buying two cans. It's important that the sides and back be covered in primer as well so that they are protected from moisture damage. 

It's a given that the Aluminium finish will not match what is currently on your kitchen, but it will give the impression that it is metallic.

At the moment the grand total is $49.48, if you were going to use a standard kickboard it would be necessary to use specialized paint which would make the project impractical. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JayKay
Getting Established

Thank you Eric, I will give that a go. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated on your project @JayKay; we can't wait to see the results. Shout out if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects