Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut timber benchtops - trestle table or workbench?

Edgar
Growing in Experience

How to cut timber benchtops - trestle table or workbench?

I am replacing my kitchen benches with Kaboodle 2400 x 600 x 36mm Hevea Timber Benchtops. I will need to cut it to size myself as the lead time for special orders is a bit too long. Do I need a workbench or trestle table to do this? I'm an absolute beginner so all advice welcome. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: trestle table or workbench?

Hi @Edgar,

A workbench, trestle table or saw horses would be beneficial. Check out this step-by-step guide on How to build a saw horse. However, they are not a necessity, and your panel only needs to be raised above the ground high enough so your saw blade does not touch it. Many times I've simply raised these panels on some lengths of timber to provide an airgap beneath.

Picking up a couple of saw horses would be a good idea, as they'll allow you to work at a convenient height, and you can secure the panel to them with clamps.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Edgar
Growing in Experience

Thank you very much. 

I need to purchase a circular saw and also a jigsaw (for the sink cut out).

Any recommendations? Things to look out for?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Edgar,

It really depends on what your budget is. For D.I.Y. around the home you really can't go fast Ryobi for reliability and the pricepoint. I'd suggest the Ryobi 1500W 184mm Corded Circular Saw and Ryobi 500W 75mm Corded Jigsaw if you are going corded. Or, the Ryobi 18V ONE+HP Brushless 184mm Circular Saw – Skin Only and Ryobi 18V ONE+ Jigsaw - Tool Only for cordless versions. For the circular saw, I recommend you pick up and run a Full Boar 184mm 40T Trade Series Circular Saw Blade to minimise chipping on your benchtop.

There is the Ryobi One+ 18V 165mm Circular Saw - Skin Only, which is more budget-friendly, but it has a 165mm blade instead of the far more common 184mm. This discrepancy limits the blade choice when it comes to tooth count and replacibility.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Edgar
Growing in Experience

thank you Mitchell. What does "Skin Only" mean?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Edgar 

"Skin only" refers to the tool only without batteries. The reason for this is because if you already have a tool in the same range such as a drill, the battery for that tool will also work on your new tool. There is no need to buy another battery unless you really need another one.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Edgar
Growing in Experience

Thank you.  That is very helpful. 

Edgar
Growing in Experience

https://www.bunnings.com.au/makita-185mm-7-1-4-1200w-circular-saw-hs7000sp_p6240318

I was wondering if you think this one would do the job? Honestly, the reviews on the Ryobi corded don't fill me with much confidence.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Edgar 

Makita is often used by trades people and is a reliable brand. The Makita 185mm (7-1/4") 1200W Circular Saw HS7000SP is a good saw and has excellent customer reviews.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Edgar
Growing in Experience

Hello. I have a question regarding using my Makita jigsaw. I did a test cut with it and what i assume was lubricating oil began leaking over the wood I was cutting. How do I prevent this?

Thank you.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects