Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix polyurethane peeling off tabletop?

GraceT
Finding My Feet

How to fix polyurethane peeling off tabletop?

1000049784.jpg

Hello everyone, I am just wondering if anyone knows how to fix a peeling paint on my dinning table.  I applied 3 coats of water based stain n varnish,sanding between coats. But it's started peeling off after 2months time. What options do I have now ?thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: wood water based polyurethane peeling off

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @GraceT. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing peeling clear coat.

If this was one of our products, it would be helpful if you could provide details so I can follow this issue up with the supplier. The product doesn't appear to have penetrated at all into the timber and instead sat entirely on the surface, allowing it to be peeled off. That's quite odd, and I haven't really encountered this issue before.

I suspect that the only option here is to sand all the coating off and start again. We'll also need to identify whether it was an issue with the product used or the preparation technique. I suspect, at a minimum, it would be best to switch brands.

To what grit did you sand the timber before applying the coating? If you went anything above 480-grit it might have been too smooth for the coating to really bite into.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: wood water based polyurethane peeling off

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for your reply. I used 180 for 1st and 240 grit for the rest 2 coats for sanding . Not sure if I used the wrong varnish though (as below). If I sand all the coating off now, Should I change to  use another finish like hard wax oil or oil based polyurethane for waterprood and heat resistance/scratch resistance?  Thanks 

1000049785.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix polyurethane peeling off tabletop?

Hello @GraceT 

That is very strange indeed that the stain and varnish has peeled off. Did you by chance wipe the surface of the raw timber with a chemical solvent before you painted over it? It's one of the probable reasons that I can think of for the polyurethane to peel off. 

However, once you've sanded the table back to timber, I propose having a look at Bondall 1L Monocel Walnut Stain and Varnish. Its oil-based and produces a hard durable finish.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Eric, thanks for your reply.  I wiped it with cloth after first sanding . All dried and smooth , nothing else. Sure I will give it a go for oil based polyurethane. Hopefully this time it will stay on longer. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @GraceT 

I suggest having a quick look at this guide - How to restore wooden furniture. You'll find some excellent tips on how to prepare the table surface before painting it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects