Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint laminate countertops?

julzdiy
Building a Reputation

How to paint laminate countertops?

Hi everyone! Last weekend we painted our kitchen cupboards and changed the door handles, but left the countertops. Which brand is best for painting countertops? is it gloss or semi gloss? Has anyone attempted to paint the faux marble? Any suggestions with colours is appreciated 😊

20210805_075835.jpg

20210805_075818.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: laminate countertops

Hi @julzdiy,

A great place to start is to check out these guides, which include a list of materials and step-by-step instructions:

How To Paint A Kitchen Benchtop With Dulux

Let me also tag our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL who will be able to help with any extra questions you may have when he's back on the site over the weekend.

The cupboards and handles look great. We'd love to see more of your kitchen refresh if you have any extra photos to share.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint laminate countertops?

Hello @julzdiy

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @StevieB. Her recommendation is spot on and should provide you with the necessary steps to paint your benchtop. There are several types of Benchtop Paint and come in different finishes from gloss to satin. I recommend visiting your local store and have a look at the benchtop finishes sample board. It sounds like a great project, any updates you can provide while renovating your benchtop would be much appreciated.

If need further assistance with this project, please let us know.

Eric

julzdiy
Building a Reputation

Here is an update on the kitchen after painting it.

20220723_103251.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Wonderful work @julzdiy! The white benchtop looks so clean and fresh and certainly compliments your lovely kitchen so much better than the original.

How did you find the process of coating the benchtop? Are there any tips or tricks you could offer our members considering a similar make-over?

Many thanks for sharing your update.

Mitchell

julzdiy
Building a Reputation

Thank you!

I found the process was pretty easy the same with painting the cabinets. 

Always clean the surface properly before painting (I used sugar soap) and really look under/ around the bench in case the paint drips.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lovely work @julzdiy. Many thanks for sharing. 

Please let us know if you'd like us to enter your handiwork in our D.I.Y. July competition

Jason

julzdiy
Building a Reputation

Yes please if you can enter for me. Many thanks Jason 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @julzdiy,

We've entered this amazing project into the competition for you. Your entries can be found here, along with the rest of the inspirational projects submitted by our members.

Good luck!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects