Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove cork tiles?

KIRKROBERTMAY
Just Starting Out

How to remove cork tiles?

Kitchen- removal of 50year old cork tiles on timber floor. Method and tools or quote?

IMG_8654.jpgIMG_8655.jpgIMG_8654.jpgIMG_8655.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to remove cork tiles?

Hi @KIRKROBERTMAY,

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our clever and creative members.

Can you please clarify what your plans are for your kitchen floor? Are their timber floorboards underneath that you want to utilise? Have you tried to remove one of the cork tiles - perhaps in an unobtrusive area like behind the fridge?

I'm sure our helpful members will be keen to assist. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove cork tiles?

Hello @KIRKROBERTMAY 

Thanks for sharing your question about removing your cork tiles. Depending on how well anchored they are, it might be possible to strip them using an ordinary DTA 150mm Heavy Duty Floor Scraper in combination with QEP 4" Floor And Wall Razor Scraper. However, if the glue has petrified and it is now as hard as rock, I recommend hiring a For Hire: Coates Floor Stripper

If you are curious as to how much the going rate is to remove the cork tiles, I suggest placing the job on Hipages or Airtasker.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects