Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove kitchen kickboard?

garethbishop
Getting Established

How to remove kitchen kickboard?

Hi,

I want to replace a kitchen kickboard due to water damage.  From what I understand it seems fairly straightforward - the board next to the damaged one is under the dishwasher and was glued in place and came away when I pulled it, but I'm not sure the one I want to remove is the same as most others - it is joined at the corner somehow to another board, which seems fairly fixed in place, rather than being able to just pull it away, and I'm not sure how to remove it.  There are no screws inside the bottom of cupboards down into the boards.

It is also glued along the bottom with some kind of caulking/sealant - I assume I can just chip this away.

See photo for details - any questions let me know.  Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Gareth

IMG_2092.jpeg

Re: How to remove kitchen kickboard?

Thanks @MitchellMc .

Can you recommend any way to cover the kickboard up?  I'm not sure that sticking another kickboard in front would be that good as it wouldn't fit neatly round the skirting board at the end, and I'd have to do the same to the kickboards on the other side as they wouldn't be in line.

Thanks,

Gareth

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @garethbishop 

I'm sorry my suggestion did not allow you to remove the kickboard. I suspect that the kickboard is being held in place by adhesive. It's possible that the kickboard was glued in place after the kitchen was installed. This would effectively wedge the kickboard in place and make it extremely difficult to remove.

If you are not keen on placing a very thick kickboard in front of the existing kickboard, I suggest using 2400 x 1200mm 9mm MDF Panel cut into strips so that they fit under the kitchen cabinets. I recommend using either a heavy-duty Staple Gun or Paslode 20 x 1.25mm 100g Bright Bullet Head Nails to keep the MDF in place. I only suggest mechanical fixings as glueing it in place might produce bumps in the MDF surface.

However, before installation, I suggest painting the MDF in Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L in combination with Dulux 4L Interior Paint Wash&Wear +PLUS Kitchen & Bathroom Low Sheen Vivid White as topcoat. I suggest using Parfix 500g Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler to cover the nail and staple heads.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @EricL , I'll give that a go.

Gareth

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects