Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to resurface a kitchen table?

leoantw
Just Starting Out

How to resurface a kitchen table?

Currently American oak with clear varnish /polyurethane, which has deteriorated.
To resurface should I use combination of stain and varnish or apply wash first and then varnish.
I believe Feast Watson has heat resistant product up to 100 degrees?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: how to resurface a kitchen table

Hi @leoantw

For the best results sand your table top back to bare timber and then restain and re varnish with your  favorite products.

We can help their if you  want product help  too.

Normal  hot dishes on the table  wont hurt varnishes heat rating unknown.  And if you have planned hot items like a sizziling hot  pan I would  use oven type heat resisting  pads for protection or  timber tray etc.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to resurface a kitchen table?

Hello @leoantw 

Thanks for sharing your question about resurfacing your kitchen table.

I agree with @Jewelleryrescue's suggestion and that is to sand the surface of the table back down to timber. Painting or sealing over old sealers or varnish will produce uneven results and the finish will not be flat and smooth. 

In order to expedite sanding, I suggest investing in an electric orbital sander. This will cut the sanding time by half and the best part is that sander comes with a set of sanding pads that will allow you to finish the surface of your table.

I propose having a look at Cabot's 1L Clear Gloss Benchtop Timber Finish. It is a highly durable, heat and stain resistant, fast drying varnish that is safe for use on living area and kitchen timber bench tops when the surface is fully cured. Once fully cured, it is resistant to chemicals, oils and heat from hot cups/mugs.

Please note that even though the sealer is heat resistant it is always prudent to use a thick coaster or a timber mat when putting extremely hot containers on the benchtop.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects