Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to sand routed wood?

Ibreakthings
Getting Established

How to sand routed wood?

Hey Everyone, like to check best way to sand routed wood (marked area)and keep the details. I am afraid of losing or inconsistent details/curve. Can it be routed again?

IMG_5898.jpeg

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to sand routed wood?

Hi @Ibreakthings,

You'd likely be best off using a sheet of sandpaper. Wrap it over your finger so it suits the cove of the routing. Re-routing the area would be fraught with issues; you'd need to find the exact same router bit that was used initially and set up some extremely precise guides to follow the original work. That's not really feasible.

Hand sanding is really the only way to go, paying particular attention to not rounding over the details. I feel your paint, though, as I've just hand-sanded an ornate bedhead and footer. There was lots of turned timberwork that took hours to get into all the crevices.

Will you be painting or staining these doors?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the advice! So far it's working good. We are planing to paint it. 

That's great to hear @Ibreakthings. The reason I ask if you're painting is that most paint primers don't require you to remove all the varnish; just remove any sheen it has. In the case of the Dulux Renovation Range products, only cleaning and sanding of the varnish to a dull finish with 400-grit sandpaper is required.

Mitchell

Hi Mitch, 

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. We chose dulax lexicon quarter for this. Do you have any suggestions how to get smooth finish? I am thinking of using 400 grit sand paper between each coat (paint+primer) 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ibreakthings 

It sounds like a fantastic project. I suggest using the best roller your budget can afford. If you're looking for a superior finish it's best to choose something with quality. Quite often budget rollers will always leave fibre and debris on the painted surface. 

The 400-grit sandpaper should be sufficient to sand the surface in between coats. My best advice is to find a spot where there is very little air movement to prevent dust particles from settling on to your newly painted door.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects