Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to screw into tile?

bettyrocker
Just Starting Out

How to screw into tile?

Hi everyone 👋

Im going to install some open shelves in my kitchen and would love some advice on the best way to go about attaching to tile wall. 

I’ve got the brackets, it’s difficult to tell if there are studs behind the tile so I think it’s safest to assume there isn’t. Im guessing this means I should use some type of plug?

What type of screw or plug would you recommend so my shelves don’t collapse 🤣 thanks in advance!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to screw into tile?

Hello @bettyrocker 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about drilling into tiles.

I suggest using QEP 8mm Diamond Tile Drill Bit, I've used this drill bit on ceramic and porcelain tiles, and it's an excellent drill bit. However, it's important that you use the water-cooling system that comes with it to prevent heating up the drill head and the tile. If too much heat is generated it will ruin the drill bit and split the tile. 

To anchor your brackets, I recommend using Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor - 20 Pack. This screw set will work on concrete, plasterboard, timber and hollow wall applications.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects