Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal the underside of a kitchen bench?

Christine61
Growing in Experience

How to seal the underside of a kitchen bench?

Hi, I’m using Tasmanian oak hardwood panels for a kitchen bench and plan to seal it with this Cabot’s product - minimum 3 coats. How many coats should I do on the underside before putting the bench top in place please. 

170C5BA0-990C-46FB-9A95-3C10032B2184.jpeg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: sealing the underside

Hi @Christine61 

A standard two coats will give it a good surface seal from underneath.

Water entering  from the edges is a weak point in most timbers so @2 -3 coats the same and one for good measure on the edges will close of water to the timber.

Your bench top sounds  nice.  :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal the underside of a kitchen bench?

Hello @Christine61 

I'm in total agreement with @Jewelleryrescue. A minimum of two coats will be good but a third coat is excellent way to protect the surface of your timber benchtop. My best advice is to make sure to apply the same number of coats to the outside edge and any area that has been cut.

Please make sure to give each coat enough time to cure properly. Applying the clear finish too early will result in a poor uneven finish and extended drying times.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Christine61
Growing in Experience

Thank you Eric and @Jewelleryrescue for your advice. 

There isn’t a great rush for it so I can definitely leave time between coats. My current hold up is that my local Bunnings is out of stock! Hopefully that means it’s a good product. It’s had great reviews. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Christine61

It's an excellent product as I've used it on most of my upcycle projects in the past. Can you please tell me what is the closest store to your location? I'll try and locate another store near you that has this product in stock.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Christine61
Growing in Experience

All is well, I’ve located another Bunnings in my area with stock (according to the website) Thank you for your help. I’m not quite at the stage of sealing, I just like to have all my ducks in a row as I work through the process. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects