Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to transition from laminate to carpet?

mandyr
Finding My Feet

How to transition from laminate to carpet?

Kia ora! I'm currently renovating the kitchen and have laid laminate flooring. I'm wondering what transition to use between the new laminate flooring and carpet. Would I use a T mould  (https://www.bunnings.co.nz/roberts-nature-s-edge-t-mould-10mmx3m-unfinished_p0148784) or a reducer (https://www.bunnings.co.nz/roberts-nature-s-edge-reducer-10mmx3m-unfinished_p0148818). The carpet profile is slightly higher than laminate. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

IMG20240118211552.jpg

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: Transition from laminate to carpet

Awesome to hear about your kitchen reno! For that transition between your fancy new laminate floor and the cozy carpet, I'd go with the reducer. A reducer is designed to create a smooth and gradual transition between different flooring materials, accommodating variations in height effectively. The specific reducer you provided, the Roberts Nature's Edge Reducer, seems well-suited for your needs.

Regards,

Mark

Remarka6le
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to transition from laminate to carpet?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mandyr. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about transition trims.

There are many different trims that can be used to transition over this area. Do you have any particular style in mind?

Both trims would likely work, but the reducer is designed for the carpet side to be 10mm higher than the flooring, and your carpet looks quite thin. So, I think you'd be better off with the T-mould, or going for something like a Roberts 30mm x 3.3m Mid-light Junior Cover Silver Floating Floor Trim and Roberts Magic Plugs.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mandyr
Finding My Feet

Thanks so much for the prompt replies! I want natural wood so think I will go with the Nature's Edge and varnish to match the laminate. And thank you for the advice on height difference - I will measure to decide between the reducer and the t-mould and hoping to share a picture once sorted!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds great, @mandyr. We can't wait to see your results!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects