Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to upcycle a dining table?

Chingy
Just Starting Out

How to upcycle a dining table?

How to revitalise a dining table ensuring the paint is food safe and resilient to heat and knocks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to revitalise a dining table ensuring the paint is food safe and resilient to heat and kn...

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Chingy. It's splendid to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about revitalising a dining table.

If you provide us with some images of the table showing the current coating and condition, then our helpful members will be able to provide some helpful preparation steps. Please let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

You'd generally use polyurethane on a dining table as they are resilient to heat and knocks to a certain extent. However, you wouldn't typically put hot items on a dining table and instead place them on a placemat or coaster. Polyurethanes also don't typically come with a food-safe grading as that is normally reserved for products used in food preparation areas, like chopping boards or kitchen benchtops. These food-safe products are normally in the form of an oil like Feast Watson 250ml Kitchen Timber Oil. An oil's downside is that it is not as hard-wearing and durable as polyurethane.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to revitalise a dining table ensuring the paint is food safe and resilient to heat and kn...

Thank you, Mitchell. The present dining table has some heat damage; thankfully not too bad. (I know there should be a heat-resistant mat, but accidents do happen.) That is why I thought there should be some product available to accept some knocks. 

Do you suggest water-based or oil-based polyurethane?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd recommend water-based products @Chingy. They are just as durable, don't smell as bad, and are much easier to clean up once you finish. I always use water-based products but recently went back to using oil-based to see if I was missing out on something. Nope, straight back to water-based for me. I'm currently using Cabot's Satin Water Based Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Timber Varnish, and it's a joy to use. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects