Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to upgrade my kitchen island with wood panelling?

dawn21
Finding My Feet

How to upgrade my kitchen island with wood panelling?

I'm wanting to upgrade my kitchen island with wood panelling on the front and sides but don't know where to start or what I need for this project. Please help!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to upgrade my kitchen island with wood panelling?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dawn21. We're pleased to have you join us.

It sounds as if you might have been inspired by the Kitchen island EasyVJ panelling project by experienced member @ProjectPete.

Could you please share some photos and perhaps also the dimensions of your kitchen island so we can see what you are working with?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jason. The bench is 3530 long and 850 high with the sides 590 wide and 850 high.

17012243383531514110198555831872.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dawn21 

Thanks for sharing your question about upgrading your kitchen island with wood panelling. The most widely used covers are EasyVJ panels, Prempanel slat panels and timber dowels. It's also possible to put plain timber pine panels to create a rustic pattern on the back of the island, the only limit is your imagination.

One of the most important things to keep in mind is the size of the back of your island. This will help you calculate how much material you'll be needing. For example, the EasyVJ panels come in 2400mm x 1200mm. That means that you'll be able to get two covers out of the sheet which are 900mm x 1200mm. One more extra sheet will allow you to cover the front and sides of the island.

Attaching the panels to the island is relatively straight forward. You either screw or glue it on or do both. I've placed some renders in photo shop to give you an idea when they created name. I've placed some sample images below to give you an idea of what the island might look like once it's covered with a timber panel.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric. It looks great. Do I  have to leave a gap at the top and bottom?

Cant wait to get this project done....

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dawn21 

There is no need to leave a gap at the bottom of the island. It was perhaps my rushed attempt at photo manipulation that a gap was left at the bottom. The panels I've mentioned can be cut to fit and properly.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to the start of your island revamp.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects