Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof concrete floor?

Fitzhouse
Getting Established

How to waterproof concrete floor?

Hi,

I have a 60s house with a kitchen extension into the old laundry. I'm installing refilled jarrah flooring over the existing concrete so it flows throughout the house.

I understand that I need to waterproof the concrete but need to know the correct product to use which will also bond with the correct timber glue.

Also, the concrete is painted, does it need any further reproduction before the waterproofing?

IMG_20230710_135633_01.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to waterproof concrete floor?

Hello @Fitzhouse 

Thanks for sharing your question about waterproofing your concrete floor. If the laundry area is now going to be a part of the kitchen, will it still be used as laundry area? If it's not, then it's not really necessary to waterproof the flooring unless your local council's rules and regulations require it.

Before I make any recommendations, can you please tell us what kind of glue you'll be using for your Jarrah flooring? There are a few waterproofing agents, but they are only rated for tile adhesives. I'll need to make some inquiries for you if they are compatible with your timber glue.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Fitzhouse
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

I have no idea what glue to use for the jarrah either, so any recommendations there would be greatly appreciated.

Fitzhouse

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Fitzhouse,

Could you please provide a little more information on what this "refilled jarrah flooring" is? That would help us investigate the appropriate glue and then find a compatible waterproofing agent. 

As @EricL  asked earlier, is this area going to be a laundry again, and does it need waterproofing?

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

The area will now all be kitchen so not a laundry.

The wood is 60mm x 11mm tongue and groove.

16892982997256343014746218418836.jpg

Since it will now be a kitchen, there is no need to waterproof the area @Fitzhouse. You would typically only waterproof a bathroom or a laundry. If you are worried about rising dampness from the concrete, you will apply Sika Primer MB to the concrete before using the Sikabond T-55 J flooring adhesive.

In answer to your question about the preparation of the paint on the floor, the above products can only be guaranteed if coated over concrete and not paint. So you'd need to remove the paint coating from the concrete.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks for that.

I guess the next question is how's the best way to remove the paint?

You could either hire a floor grinder, or we have the Full Boar 1500W 125mm Concrete Grinder @Fitzhouse. Either of these would be handy if any of that tile glue remains on the surface. By using them, you'll end up with a smooth and clean concrete surface to lay your flooring over. Please remember your PPE when grinding concrete including a proper respirator and safety goggles.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects