Workshop
Ask a question

Do we need to replace the plasterboard after removing tiles?

aaronrobertson
Finding My Feet

Do we need to replace the plasterboard after removing tiles?

We've replaced our kitchen and pulled down the wall tiles, though we are now unsure if the gyprock should be replaced or plastered and sanded? We are replacing the tiles with stone, though it'll sit below the Powerpoint. 

Please help.

1000011788.jpg

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Re: Wall Help - Plaster or Replace

Hello @aaronrobertson welcome to the Workshop Community, have you tried sanding the area behind where the tiles were?

This is the least intrusive approach but will generate lots of dust and take a bit of elbow grease (or an electrical sander) 😉

Thank you. 

I'll get into it this weekend and see how it goes!

Hi @aaronrobertson,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

It's great to see you've already received some advice from @DIYGnome, who I agree with but would like to add a few points.

A combination of sanding with a Trojan 120 Grit Angled Sanding Sponge and scraping with a Hyde 6" Plasterboard Joint Knife should get you back to bare plasterboard. 

If you find that the tile adhesive has ripped the white paper off the plasterboard exposing a brown cardboard like layer, you will need to skim coat these sections with a topping compound such as Gyprock Less Mess Topping Compound as paint will not adhere well to this part of the plasterboard.

Once this skim coat is done, you can sand the surface perfectly smooth before painting with a suitable interior paint.

Please remember to wear a mask, and eye protection when sanding as plaster dust is extremely fine and will hang in the air. It's not fun to breathe in and definitely not fun to get in your eyes so all precautionary measures should be taken.

Let me know if you require further assistance.

Jacob

Thanks for the great tips, this will save the family some much needed money this week. Much appreciated.

Hi @aaronrobertson,

Keep us updated on your progress, it would be great to see what you come up with and offer any assistance we can on the way.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects