Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What stain for dining chairs to match floorboards?

jjj_z
Finding My Feet

What stain for dining chairs to match floorboards?

Hi guys, I'd like to stain my new dining chair legs to match our wooden floorboards, but I'm a complete novice at DIY. Can anyone please kindly suggest what colour stain I should consider? Thank you in advance! 

57DBF4D8-8099-4F1A-B75D-EA0D9D461CCB.jpgIMG_1890.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What stain for dining chairs to match floorboards?

Hi @jjj_z 

Firstly  we can  help try match your floor stain  color.  AS this is your goal and personal preferance.

But some times having contrasting  or different textures /looks  adds to your space.

I say this  as it is  hard  for a perfect match re staining.

Where your floors stained or are they pre made? The name of your timber  color and or stain maybe a guide to  close match.

In the  meanwhile to closest color match to your floor color is (Kowhia by  Forestwood  timber stain  by wattyl  ) Depending on how it takes to your chair legs.  Color chart  https://wattyl.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Wattyl-Forestwood-Brochure-AU-Web.pdf

Apply stain using a bit of old rag folded into a small square   dab to rag to the stain tin to pick up color then lightly wpie over the  chair legs or pre test the  stain colour on clear pine for a close sample,.  

Each time you wipe the chair leg the color will darken on the leg so it is easy to over do the staining. Take  care.

Once you know your stain works on your chairs  note down  color for future reference as you may want to match other timber to your  theme.

Wow. Thank you so much for such a detailed response - this is actually so helpful!! And having a look at the Kowhai stain, it looks so similar to the floor! 

I'm not too sure about whether our hardwood floors were stained or premade as it was installed by the builder of our apartment building - and I've looked through the paint manual and there's no mention... 

I'll be giving this a go. Thank you so much again!!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jjj_z 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about what stain to use on your chair legs.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. I totally agree with the suggestions made. I would also recommend making sure to test it on some clean pine and to provide enough time for the stain to dry off and settle. You'll get a much better idea of the colour when it is dry.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles, and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects