Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What varnish do I use for a MDF toddler kitchen stool?

chriss
Just Starting Out

What varnish do I use for a MDF toddler kitchen stool?

Hi, I need to varnish or paint this MDF stool to seal/protect it before toddler gets food/other mess on it. It'll be used for toddler to watch or "help" in the kitchen.

Looking for recommendations for something non-toxic and water resistant (so it's easy to wipe clean after use). Thinking varnish to keep the "natural" colour, but also open to paint recommendations.

Are the spray bottle varnishes adequate (they seem easiest to use)? Or is it better to buy a tin and paint it on?

How do I figure out what volume of varnish/paint I need to do 2 coats?

Thanks!

TS_MDF02-1-scaled.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What varnish do I use for a MDF toddler kitchen stool?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @chriss. We're excited to have you join us and look forward to being part of your D.I.Y. journey.

Thank you for your question. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to provide his thoughts as soon as he can. Let me also tag our knowledgeable members @Jewelleryrescue@Peggers and @prettyliving in case they have any thoughts.

Thank you for your patience in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @chriss 

My apologies for the late reply. I suggest having a look at Cabot's 1L Satin Clear Benchtop Timber Finish or Dulux 4L Aquanamel Semi Gloss White Enamel Paint. These are tough wearing paint, one is designed to be used on benchtops and the other one is for doors and skirting boards. Surfaces that are often touched and knocked about.

It's a given that it will need to be touched up now and then as it will get worn down with everyday use. My only other suggestion is to use a primer if you are going to use the Dulux Aquanamel.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

chriss
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric,

Thanks so much for your reply.

Just wondering if you have any experience using one of the spray can varnishes? Like the Timber Protect 300g Satin Quick Dry Clear Varnish? It seems like it might be quicker to apply (it's difficult to find the time to paint on varnish with a toddler running around!)

Thanks

Chris

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @chriss 

The drying time for the spray paint will be faster than brushed paint. But I suggest buying an extra can for your calculated quantity. Technically the first spray can will get absorbed by the MDF and will act like a primer. Once the surface of the MDF is sealed the second coat will technically be the first coat. Make sure to give each coating enough time to properly cure.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects