Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What would you do with this 70s kitchen?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What would you do with this 70s kitchen?

KitchenBefore.jpg

Many Australian kitchens still look like this, with dated cabinetry, tiles and floor coverings. 

Fortunately, even a dated 70s kitchen like this can be given a fresh and stylish new look on a very low budget of just $1500.

But before we show you how the Bunnings team transformed this kitchen, please share your thoughts on how you would rejuvenate this space on a very tight budget. 

What would you do with this kitchen?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

Re: What would you do with this kitchen?

Geez, where does 1 start.  Maybe with a box of matches?  I may have to get back to you on this one.

Cheers

Daryl

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

The layout is OK so it would be trying to update the look of the cabinetry, replacing the table and the benchtops. And doing something about the very dated pantry - probably just needs a new door. The oven also probably needs replacing but hard to do for under the $1500 budget. Hopefully there's good timber floorboards underneath the laminate...   

dingodudette
Cultivating a Following

I would move the fridge to against the wall beside the sliding door and extend the pantry across to use the recess and create a ton of extra storage space by making new shelves, repaint the cabinets, remove the vinyl and clean up the floor, donate the table and chairs, rip out the timber cross bench and replace it with better second hand table and chairs. If I had more money I would extend the right hand bench to the other door's edge using an add on which can be folded down when not required so you are not losing any workspace and you still have more room to move around.
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Once you replace the floor, replace the pantry door and paint the timber it will already look miles better. I think you might even be able to make the olive green cupboards work, although painting them white would be the safer option. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion. There were some great suggestions about how to improve the kitchen. 

Here's what the kitchen looked like after the Bunnings team performed their simple makeover:

Kitchen_After_Straight_3677.jpg

Bunnings design consultant Leanne Watson says the original kitchen was 45 years old. The makeover project cost $1411.

According to Leanne, the main deficiencies that the team was trying to address with the makeover were "primarily the dated look of the cabinetry colour, tiles and floor covering, as well as the pine panelling - quite reminiscent of the period. The benchtop was also showing signs of wear and tear."

Leanne says painting the laminate surfaces and changing the floor coverings made the biggest difference in the makeover. 

"While the choice of black and grey are quite strong, they are monochromatic by nature and together with the simplicity of the white benchtop and tile paint, this allows the timber feature that we incorporated into the dining section really set the style," says Leanne.

"We also preserved the original timber trim around the oven and in the shadow line between the benchtop and the cabinet doors which tied the original kitchen to the new look."

The previous floor was vinyl and was replaced with a new large vinyl tile designed to look like dark concrete (Senso Urban Loft Dark - 400mm by 400mm. 

The big ticket item was the benchtop that was used to replace the dining tabletop. 

"At $475, Kaboodle’s Hickory Maple Laminate Timber-look benchtop used up approximately a third of the budget, but I think you’ll agree that it was money well spent," Leanne says. "Wrapping it around the front wall of the kitchen is a contemporary touch that also provides a little extra dining space."

Hope you enjoyed this simple project. I've also attached a video below of the transformation. Feel free to keep the discussion going by replying below.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Realestate.com.au have published an article about the renovation, and included details of the two other more expensive kitchens that were installed. See http://www.realestate.com.au/lifestyle/before-after-1-kitchen-3-different-renovations/

Tanyamaree71
Getting Established

Re: What would you do with this 70s kitchen? I paint the doors white top grey splash

We're going to use these tiles, but they kept chipping, so I had no choice to paint the bench top with success..We're going to use these tiles, but they kept chipping, so I had no choice to paint the bench top with success..

New blind $19New blind $19

Well I've already began doing my 70s kitchen. I had a green bench top and wooden doors. It was old and tired untill I attacked it a few weeks ago. USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1587529197243_6658580062113697837.jpeg

Re: What would you do with this 70s kitchen? I paint the doors white top grey splash

Welcome to the Workshop community @Tanyamaree71.

Thanks for jumping straight into the discussion. It looks like you are doing a great job there in your own kitchen. We look forward to you starting a new discussion and showcasing the fantastic work you have accomplished. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration and helpful advice from the community for your own projects around the home.

If you ever need any assistance or have something to share, please let us know.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects