Workshop
Ask a question

How to build an open shelf small pantry?

Samara1
Getting Established

How to build an open shelf small pantry?

My U shaped open shelf small pantry with 1.2 meter walkway will be similar to below image with window. all appliances like rise cooker, dish washer will be in the pantry. What type of melamine finish is better. Any difference in finishing with or without doors. Kindly advise.

Samara1_0-1714864901413.png

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: open shelf small pantry

Hi @Samara1,

Thank you for your question regarding finishes in your pantry.

There isn't much of a quality difference in melamine from type to type, it really comes down to personal aesthetic.

One of the questions I would be asking myself is what is more important to me, ease of access or ability to enclose things. You may find it important to be able to have quick access to things in your pantry, or you might value the clean look of having everything away and out of sight. It truly is up to you what you prefer.

As this is such an opinion-based question, I will tag some of our style gurus for their thoughts, @diy_hausdesigns, @Renowayoflife, @prettyliving.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Samara1
Getting Established

thanks Jacobz . appreciated.

what is this standard white melamine here? comparing to polytech melamine with different colors.

Is the outside layer differs here? and base material all are particle board?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Samara1,

Our range of white melamine boards is available on the Bunnings website. They are particle board covered with a thermally adhered laminate melamine veneer. If you were looking for different colours, we have the inBuilt range of coloured melamine, which is the same as the white version and is laminate over particle board.

I am unfamiliar with the polytech melamine products as they are not one of our suppliers.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to build an open shelf small pantry?

hi @Samara1 What a fun project. We just built our pantry using plywood. We added a pine face to it and I colour drenched the room including the shelves. We will be adding drawers to the base unit. Regarding doors, is it open to the rest of the house or do you have a main pantry door? If you'd worried about mess you could add doors but not sure it's really necessary if you're designing it to suit your storage needs. Just another option to consider

IMG_5371.jpegIMG_5333 Small.jpegIMG_5382.jpeg

lovey @Renowayoflife 

looks amazing with lights. could i get few questions clarified.

1) this is my pantry plan (2660mm X 2270mm) and almost similar to urs :smile: 

Samara1_0-1715238217709.png Samara1_1-1715238569282.png

2) my pantry will have glass door and also have window and i add Exhaust as well.

3) its U shaped one so to keep all appliances on stone.

4) bec its small U shaped one with 1.2m walkway so thought to go open shelf and open cupboard and drawers

5) bec i will be using steam items like rice cooker, dishwasher, sink & fryer here - do i need to do my open shelfs & cupboard in MDF or particle board with melamine in polytech?  

6) i love the way u designed the overhead cupboard bottom part extends till the cooktop. how to do like this. its cleverly designed. will this hit the taller appliances by any chance. 

7) how about the lightings and how to do like this. Is it LED strips?

thanks and appreciate ur time.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Samara1 

Let me tag @Renowayoflife to make them aware of your questions. Let me try and answer some of your questions.

• I suggest installing a strong exhaust fan as you will be generating a great deal of moisture inside that small space.

• If your appliance does not have rubber feet, I suggest using placemats to protect your stone top from damages.

• Open shelf is best as you have a small space it would be difficult to have doors on the cabinet.

• I suggest using melamine panels instead of MDF as it does not handle moisture very well. 

• If you wish to emulate the wall style, I suggest measuring the height of all your appliances so that it does not hit the shelves. Make sure to speak to your builder so that you understand each other regarding what you want it to look like.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Samara1
Getting Established

Great thanks @EricL 

* do you recommend any strong exhaust fan for my pantry. Also looking for laundry as it does not have windows but have a external door.

* sorry why placemates required as i hope the appliances should have rubber support on bottoms

* Is the melamine panels particle board which is more stronger than MDF? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Samara1,

The DETA 250mm High Capacity Exhaust Fan is by far our most powerful exhaust fan at 750 cubic mtrs/hr. Along with that power does come a significant amount of noise. You might like to drop down to the IXL 250mm Ventflo Exhaust Fan at 538 cubic mtrs/hr, which should be adequate. We could recommend an exhaust fan in any room where significant steam or moisture is produced.

Hopefully, your appliances have rubber feet, although many will have plastic feet. This plastic can leave streaks on stone benchtops. It's always best to protect your investment, so using placemats might be an idea.

Melamine panels have a semi-sealed coating, whereas MDF is bare timber particles. Melamine's sealed sides do not absorb moisture, whereas any water that sits on MDF will be sucked in like a sponge. If you use MDF, it would need to be painted on all faces to achieve a protective coating and stop water penetration.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi @Samara1 

Looks like a great design.

I plan to add drawers under the counter as items are more accessible than the shelves.

You will definitely want to add an exhaust in your pantry, we added quite a powerful on, I believe @EricL has recommended on.

We added a pine face to each of the shelves and added the LED strips behind these so they shine down on the shelf below. 

the arch coming down the to the counter top is just plywood, we cut it to the shape and size we want and then filled and painted it. 

I hope I've answered your questions, you can find me on social media @renowayoflife and I have added our pantry videos into highlight on IG and a playlist on TT.

thanks Claire 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects