Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bedroom makeover using VJ panels

sammilne
Having an Impact

Bedroom makeover using VJ panels

A simple transformation to this outdated bedroom. This was able to be done in just one day!

Screenshot_20230427-081013~2.png

Materials

Easycraft VJ panels 1200x2400

Selleys Hold Up Glue 

Porta Timber Dowel 

Tools

Jigsaw 

Circular saw

Steps

Step 1

Firstly I cut the VJ panels to size using a circular saw. I cut the 2400 pieces in half as I wanted the height to be 1200 high.

Step 2

Next I did two coats of paint (Casper white quarter) before installing them on the wall.

Step 3

Now it was time to measure the holes for the powerpoints and cut them out with a jigsaw.

Step 4

Now the fun part! Installing the panels. And to my surprise this was super easy. You just apply Selleys Hold up to the back of the panels and once it is in place I tacked a couple of nails into the studs to hold it while the glue set. To hide the nail holes I just used a bit of putty.

PXL_20221118_223730709 (1).jpg

Step 5

I then did a final coat of paint and installed the 3x timber dowels on top to finish it off. In one of the photos you'll see there is no dowel, but the room looks so much more complete with the timber strip to break up the white wall!

IMG_0809.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Bedroom makeover using VJ panels

Hi @sammilne,

You have really created a gorgeous feature wall using VJ panels. I agree, that little strip of timber really brings it all together and makes it pop. Was it difficult to do the cuts for the power points? Any tips for someone looking to have a red hot go at a VJ panel feature wall?  

Amazing work!

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

The powerpoints were easier than I expected. We measured the distance from the wall and floor to the centre of the PowerPoint. Just make sure to measure well and cut a hole that's smaller than the PowerPoint cover ☺️

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Fantastic tip! Thank you @sammilne for sharing.

Katie

Ema_2713
Just Starting Out

What a clever idea 💡 Love this, thanks for sharing 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ema_2713. It's splendid to have you join us, and great to see you've been inspired by this project.

Could you see something like this working well at your place? I trust @sammilne and the rest of our members would be more than happy to provide the assistance you need to construct a Vj-panelled wall like this in your own home.

For more inspiration, you might like to check out our Vj panelling projects for any room of your home.

We look forward to hearing about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

myfavouritescar
Finding My Feet

Looks great! I'd love to do this to cover a brick wall in my lounge room. I just have to figure out a system for holding the panels in place while the glue dries (and cut out around the air con unit!).

Hi @myfavouritescar,

That is a great question! Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be online this afternoon but he has written a great article How do you fix VJ to a brick wall which I highly suggest you check out. For your air con unit, could you send a picture so we can best help with a solution? 

Katie

Hello @myfavouritescar 

There are two possible options for you to hold the panels in place. First, place the panel on the brick wall with no adhesive and pre-drill small holes in the panel so that you mark the top of the brick wall. Move the panel out of the way and drill 6mm holes in the brick wall where you've marked it. The holes should be big enough for you to tap in some Taskmaster 6 x 32mm Timber Dowel Connectors

The dowels will serve as mounting points for either screws or nails. These will be temporary, and you'll need to remove them once the adhesive has cured and your panel is secure. The holes in the panel will need to be filled in before you prime and paint it.

The second option is to make a timber brace that will lean on to the panel while the glue cures. It is possible to drill into the EasyVJ panel, but just remember to fill the holes once panel is secure.

In regards to the aircon unit, my best advice is to take plenty of measurements and do a template in cardboard. Double check the cardboards position and fit making sure to take the panels thickness into account before transferring the cut to your EasyVJ panel.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects