Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I paint on PermaTimber 33 x 27mm 2.7m Light Ash Composite U Edge Trim?

sainaga79
Just Starting Out

Can I paint on PermaTimber 33 x 27mm 2.7m Light Ash Composite U Edge Trim?

This is my first DIY.

I am trying install - LED Strip lights running along Staircase side inside U shaped permatimber.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/permatimber-33-x-27mm-2-7m-light-ash-composite-u-edge-trim_p0240439

Is it possible to paint this permatimber as the joints got gap and don't look good?
If yes, what paint should i use?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I paint on - PermaTimber® 33 x 27mm 2.7m Light Ash Composite U Edge Trim?

Hello @sainaga79 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about painting a composite edge trim.

Unfortunately, the composite material is not something you can easily paint. You're wondering what about the paint that's already on it? That paint goes through a production process that literally binds the paint to the surface of the composite material. 

You could try using a plastic primer such as the Dulux 325g Duramax Plastic Primer Spray Paint. Please note that the surface of the composite material will need to be sanded in order to prepare the surface. 

Because of the composition of the composite material it is difficult to tell how long the primer will remain on the surface of the surface of the PermaTimber. My only other suggestion is to consider using an aluminium channel instead as it is much easier to paint. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Can I paint on - PermaTimber® 33 x 27mm 2.7m Light Ash Composite U Edge Trim?

Thanks Eric for your reply.

Is there anyway i can stick some layer on top of it? Like wallpaper or some pvc then paint it.

as my hacksaw cut was not perfect.

1000035592.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sainaga79,

There isn't a great way to stick something over it that will be both paintable and hide the gap. The solution is to create a backing piece so you can fill the gap instead of covering it.

My suggestion is to cut a Brutus 25 x 25 x 2.5mm x 2.4m Angle Building Moulding along the ridge so you have a flat piece of PVC. Once cut, you can glue it on the inside of the channel using Liquid Nails, bridging from one side of the gap to the other. 

This PVC strip will act as a backing for some No More Gaps. Once applied and smoothed, allow it to dry sufficiently before painting with a suitably matching colour.

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions, I am more than happy to help.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects