Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY timber side table

sammilne
Having an Impact

DIY timber side table

I saw a similar coffee table in a magazine and new I could turn it into a simple DIY side table project. It took less than an hour and I love the end result. This side table can be adjusted to suit any style of home by using your favourite timber and adding a stain finish.

IMG_6344.JPG

Materials

For the timber I used a Hevea offcut for the top and a Hevea 1m panel for the legs. However it is no longer showing Hevea panels online, so instead I would suggest:

SpecRite 1800 x 405 Timber Panel Pine Glulam FJ

Selleys Hold Up Glue

Cabots Cabothane Clear (or your choice of stain)

Tools

Measuring Tape

Circular Saw

Jigsaw

Chisel

Steps

Step 1

Firstly I used the circular saw to cut the three pieces of timber needed. I measured the two leg pieces to be 500mm x 405(the width of the panel)

For the top I wanted a square so I made it 405 x 405mm as the panel was 405 wide.

IMG_7781.PNG

Step 2

Next I used a measuring tape to mark the cuts for the slot I needed to slide the two pieces together. This cut was 250mm (half the height of the legs) x 26mm (the thickness of the panels)

I used the jigsaw to cut this and a chisel to remove it and tidy up the cuts.

IMG_5803.JPG

Step 3

Next it was time for a light sand and stain the pieces with Cabots Cabothane Clear (or use your desired stain). For this I used a brush for a better finish.

Step 4

After the stain was dry, it was time to assemble the table!

You just slot the two leg pieces together and attach the top with Selleys Hold Up Glue. IMG_5981.JPG

Step 5

And don't forget to style it! Here I styled it with a simple book, candle and K-Mart flower vase. 
IMG_5960_jpg.JPG

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: DIY timber side table

Hi @sammilne,

What a sweet side table project, perfect for a weekend of DIYing! Thank you so much for sharing. Any tips for keeping all your cuts nice and straight? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Katie! I always make sure to mark my cuts with a pencil and use a set square to get them straight. And I use sandpaper to tidy them up if needed!

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Absolutely beautiful bedroom @sammilne 💜

Thankyou so much!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Congratulatios @sammilne :smile:

Thats a nice table and so useful! You did some nice work getting the two slots so square in the slot :smile: I always end up with a rounded corner lol

Congratulations again :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects