Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Giving an old chest of drawers some love

janelle13
Growing in Experience

Giving an old chest of drawers some love

20211201_202315.jpg

My son had been given an old chest of drawers when he was young. I had attempted to strip the layers of paint but could not remove it from some parts. The drawers had no handles but you could put your fingers in the holes to open them. 

The drawers sat under the window between the 2 boys beds with my son's prized Voltron Lions on them.

Of course, when he left home my son took "his" drawers with him. Over the years his daughters had redecorated them with stickers and graffiti.  

Imagine my surprise on a recent visit that the drawers had been relegated to the wardrobe in the spare room and were unused.

So while my son was at work, I resanded and painted the drawers a beautiful midnight blue. To set this fabulous colour off, I added gold drawer knobs and set his beloved Voltron Lion on top.

20211129_091231.jpg

20211129_091245.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Giving an old chest of drawers some love

Hi @janelle13,

Your son must have been so surprised to have his childhood dresser restored in the blink of an eye! You have done an incredible job and your handles (and Voltron Lion) compliment your paint colour perfectly. How did you touch up the keyholes? Are they brass? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
janelle13
Growing in Experience

Re: Giving an old chest of drawers some love

Thanks Katie. The keyholes are  brass and I gave them a quick sand with very fine sandpaper

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects